Immersive Doorknobs (lol No, Really!)

twowolves80

I can only find a thread from several years back, so figured it was time to bring it up. Looking for a mod to do a few things:

1. A simple script to set doors to either close automatically, or any NPC/Follower that touches them gets triggered to put them as they were once they step through, i.e., if the door is closed, and the NPC steps through (and isn't chasing you trying to kill you, obviously, so enemies would ignore this rule), they close it before proceeding to their idle animation.

2. Give all locations that make sense to have them a few keys (or only one, depending on the location) around and about so that if a player takes one, they have the key that will open any locked door (with separate keys for the dungeons, if present) thereafter. Or, for more interesting play, have the new occupants in cases of forts "get the locks changed." In other words, there's a timer on the keys for expiration/recycling.

3. Make all doors with keys as above lockable so if you're getting chased, you can lock the door behind you (if you have the key), and NPCs can't follow you (I'm thinking specifically of being hunted as a vampire as part of Dawnguard and Better Vampires). This, of course, necessitates the following:

4. Make doors bashable. They would have a set number of hit points with a high DR and axes would do double damage. Locked the door behind you, did you? You night-spawned blood sucking freak! Get the axe! lol This would need a burst animation made for it to really be seamless, but you could cheat and have the door vanish in a sudden cloud of dust that very quickly dissipates. No animation necessary, then.

Edited by twowolves80

4. Make doors bashable.

I foresee a problem with this particular one. While there are doors in interior spaces that would benefit from this, it would be weird for most exterior doors. All buildings and houses load into separate cells, so if you bash down that door, there would likely just be a void in its place, which is definitely not immersive. I'm not sure if you would be able to enter the building without a door to click on.

You can see this oddity in action in Neverwinter Nights, which has the same interior cell design, and also allows bashing of doors, locks, chests, etc. When you bash open a door, the physical door is destroyed, leaving a black void. It's been a while since I've played that game, but I believe you can click on the void to enter.

Hmm...I wonder if you could replace that black texture with an image of the outside taken from just on the other side of the door. In other words, once you're outside the the door, back up against it, shoot a screen shot for day and one for night (probably near dawn or dusk so it looks like it could be either mid-day or morning/afternoon), and then insert that image as a dds file (or even just a straight png--I'm not really familiar with how textures would work in that instance). This is actually something I wanted to see done for another mod, anyway--replace the entry and exit points to caves with something that actually looks like an entrance, not a brightly lit flat dead end.

Also, could you put an invisible marker there in the CK that so long as your crosshairs point at where the door once stood, it still gives you the Press E to Open Skyrim (or wherever)?

I was thinking instead of an actual animation (which would require someone with a lot more skill than I possess), the mod could use the vanilla animation of the opaque dust cloud that will occasionally appear when you're in dwemer caves that's tan and obscures vision for like five seconds. Use that in combination with whatever sounds are present in the vanilla assets that could be adapted to sound like a door getting busted in.

And if you wanted more variation, you could have different door types be different strengths. A farm house door is going to be able to endure a lot less punishment than a keep door in Whiterun, for instance. This would also actually make the idea of siege warfare a bit more plausible if doors could be assigned factions so that enemies (using Stormcloaks attacking Whiterun, for instance) will actively "attack" locked doors to break them down and see if there's guards there. Whiterun's gate would actually be bashed down for a change.

You could easily extend this into other areas, but the scope of focus right now is just on changing the nature of doors and locks and keys so the player hauling around the 783 keys present in Skyrim can actually use them again, but only before the 72 hour (an arbitrary number, but three days seems good) timer started the moment new bandits respawn (and thus, "change the locks").

The timer for spawning enemies and changing locks at Fort Greymoor, for instance, would look like this, I imagine:

--bits of incomprehensible code--
IF bandits respawn, start KeyTimer, set to 72 hours (because they would have the locks changed within 3 days of new occupancy)
IF 72 hours pass, player's keys are ineffective and no longer open the doors, and a new key must be stolen
Agnis has a key
Agnis always instantly receives the newest key (unless killed, story-line or not)
--bits of incomprehensible code--

lol Yes, my coding skills are top-notch, clearly. This would also have the surprise effect of: Player shows up at the side entrance, door is locked. Hehe, I got the key--wait, it doesn't work! What the-- *checks date* Crap! I missed it by 3 hours! *picks lock, grumbles, smashes nearest bandit, steals the new key* Ha!

Edited by twowolves80

I can only find a thread from several years back, so figured it was time to bring it up. Looking for a mod to do a few things:

1. A simple script to set doors to either close automatically, or any NPC/Follower that touches them gets triggered to put them as they were once they step through, i.e., if the door is closed, and the NPC steps through (and isn't chasing you trying to kill you, obviously, so enemies would ignore this rule), they close it before proceeding to their idle animation.

2. Give all locations that make sense to have them a few keys (or only one, depending on the location) around and about so that if a player takes one, they have the key that will open any locked door (with separate keys for the dungeons, if present) thereafter. Or, for more interesting play, have the new occupants in cases of forts "get the locks changed." In other words, there's a timer on the keys for expiration/recycling.

3. Make all doors with keys as above lockable so if you're getting chased, you can lock the door behind you (if you have the key), and NPCs can't follow you (I'm thinking specifically of being hunted as a vampire as part of Dawnguard and Better Vampires). This, of course, necessitates the following:

4. Make doors bashable. They would have a set number of hit points with a high DR and axes would do double damage. Locked the door behind you, did you? You night-spawned blood sucking freak! Get the axe! lol This would need a burst animation made for it to really be seamless, but you could cheat and have the door vanish in a sudden cloud of dust that very quickly dissipates. No animation necessary, then.

1. In my experience there aren't enough same cell doors for this to make sense. And as nightscrawl says; the loading into a cell part. Which means that doors always close anyway.

2. Wax key perk: a perk in the Lockpicking skilltree which automatically gives you a copy of a picked lock's key if it has one.

4. I have seen a light version for chests and such where you could smack them open if you had enough one handed or two handed skill, but only for Oldrim as far as I know. When "broken" they are set to unlocked instead of breaking open.

Edited by Niborino9409

1. The non-exterior doors (the kind that don't trigger a load screen) are all the same general types and are reused over and over throughout the games, not the types where you have to throw a switch to power bars, obviously. Therefore, it shouldn't be hard to tailor a script to "infect" the npc with a command to perform a certain action, and have that one script duplicated and copied to each of those types of doors. There's even a "seeker-script" that will copy that script to all those door types. Basically, a script that gives any npc a temporary script to close the door behind them that ends after that and only runs when they go trough a door that is closed.

2. Don't want a perk. I know about the wax key. I don't want that. I want a key that will eventually go obsolete within 72 hours of the location owner(s) respawn to represent the bandits or whoever, "changing the locks."

4. For the doors, you could set the animation to trigger the super-dense dust clouds that the game occasionally uses in places like dwemer ruins to totally obscure vision (they're the tan-colored and opaque clouds that last five seconds). So the door breaks, the dust cloud appears, and when it fades, there's a static object of a broken or buried door on the ground. This only works for non-load screen doors. Load screen doors could be handled similarly with a generic outdoor screenshot or as the dust clears, it automatically triggers the entrance/exit loadscreen. The static object of the loadscreen doors could be a broken door or wooden rubble/debris, and have the invisible dialogue trigger for "E Open To..."

I like the idea of those chests like that, though. :smile:

Edited by twowolves80