Editing Border Regions.

Tharavax

How do you edit border regions? I don't want to turn them off. I just want to move the border.

EDIT: I am talking about the invisible wall your character meets when you hit the edge of the world. The UI gives you this message: "You can't go that way."

Edited by Tharavax

How do you edit border regions? I don't want to turn them off. I just want to move the border.

If you mean the outside borders (outer edges) of the map. Technically, there is a fix that will allow you to expand the map size, but it is a true hack, AND your downloaders must also make the same change to their system.

Skyrim has a 64x64 max size walkable world. Anything beyond that is blocked by the Havoc physics engine. You can get around it by turning Havoc OFF and setting Skyrim to use the outdated AABB style physics.

Edit your skyrim.ini and add these lines to the bottom:

[HAVOK]
bUseCharacterRB=0

This will turn off the Havok regarding NAVmesh making NPCs/creatures use a phantom AABB walkmesh instead of using Havok.

This fix was found by ShadeMe from the Elder Scrolls Forum

Is it worth that? Not really as you must tell your users that they must also edit their own skyrim.ini to make those changes. Does the hak break anything? Not that I can find, as I have been playing with the edited .ini for about 2 weeks with no noticeable issues.

If you are talking about something else, some other type of "border" then please clarify what you are asking about.

Hm, ok. Too bad you can't increase the size of the 64x64 world without having to turn off HAVOK.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

Just for clarifications sake, I am talking about the invisible wall your character meets when you hit the edge of the world. The UI gives you this message: "You can't go that way."

I haven't checked it out in Skyrim yet, but in Oblivion, if you want to change the border of a border region, you change the size and shape of the border region. You move the edges of it to where you want them. The player still cannot cross the edges of the border region, but now they are in a different place.

(Beware. This type of edit has the tendency to make very large and very dirt mods. If you mess with region boundaries, it may log an edit for every single cell in the region and add it to your mod.)