Nexus Mod Manager is not set up to work with Skyrim. If Skyrim is installed, rescan for installed games from the change games toolbar item.

Cinderellaeid

I'd just love to get Nexus Mod Manager to work with Skyrim: SE from Steam. Says cannot locate Skyrim.exe file when I direct it to the path SE is stored in. Looking through the Skyrim: SE files, I can't manually find the exe file either. Are these hidden on the Steam install?

I'd just love to get Nexus Mod Manager to work with Skyrim: SE from Steam. Says cannot locate Skyrim.exe file when I direct it to the path SE is stored in. Looking through the Skyrim: SE files, I can't manually find the exe file either. Are these hidden on the Steam install?

Skyrim.exe is for the old Legendary Edition, not the Special Edition. Make sure you're setting up the correct game.

No, there's no such thing as Skyrim.exe.

• Original Skyrim (a.k.a. Legendary Edition) uses TESV.exe. The game directory is in steamapps\common\Skyrim.
  • Skyrim Special Edition uses SkyrimSE.exe.The game directory is in steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition.

The "Steam Version" is the only version available on PC. Even if you install it from CD, it just installs Steam for you. There aren't any hidden files.

If you're still having problems, then please provide a screenshot of your Skyrim or Skyrim Special Edition directory (not the Data directory).

No, there's no such thing as Skyrim.exe.

• Original Skyrim (a.k.a. Legendary Edition) uses TESV.exe. The game directory is in steamapps\common\Skyrim.
  • Skyrim Special Edition uses SkyrimSE.exe.The game directory is in steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition.

The "Steam Version" is the only version available on PC. Even if you install it from CD, it just installs Steam for you. There aren't any hidden files.

Sorry, brain fart there. Yeah, definitely make sure you're using a legit (Steam-connected) copy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hej Guys, i have the same problem... i try to follow your explanations.. but my english isnt that good, sry.

"

• Skyrim Special Edition uses SkyrimSE.exe.The game directory is in steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

"

I bought Skyrim long time ago and after some time i got all the dlcs too. No Skyrim Special Edition (, but maybe the Legendary Edition cause of all DLCs?).

The file name is called TESV.exe besides my SKSE.exe Version i dled. I tried to dl some mods from Nexus for my gameplay, skyrimSE webside.

So do i have to dl the mods of the original normal skyrim webside and the mods dled will automatically turns to the 'SE' version, because as i said i have all of these DLCs???

Nexus Mod Manager acutally show up my heartfire, dragonborn, dawnguard etc. plugins.

And further do i get any problems and crashes if i install normal old skyrim mods via nexus mod manager due to my Skyrim with all all dlcs when i go inplay for dawnguard areas and questline ...

Edited by Claasification

Claasification, downloads from the Skyrim SE website will not work on your version (mostly). You have to download them from the original Skyrim Nexus site.

The Legendary Edition (LE) is simply the original Skyrim with all three DLCs installed. Otherwise there's no difference. If you bought and installed all three DLCs, then it is now the Legendary Edition. You can (and should) install Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEEP).

The Special Edition is NOT the same as Legendary Edition. Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) is a separate game that has an updated game engine. It always comes with all three DLCs. You cannot upgrade LE to SSE automatically. You'd have to buy SSE and download and/or convert the mods. Most mods for SSE will not work on the old Skyrim. It may work if the mod only changes textures, but if you're not sure about it then just stick with original Skyrim mods.

To answer your question: No, having the DLCs doesn't cause problems with original Skyrim mods.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I want to help, but no one's answering me. If we don't know what mods you're trying to install, then how can we figure out what's wrong?

The most likely answer was already given in the first two replies, but I'll repeat it anyway: If you have SSE, then you have to install mods from Skyrim Special Edition Nexus, NOT Skyrim Nexus.

If you really want to install Oldrim mods into SSE (doesn't always work), then you should download them manually and add them to NMM. Doing that without converting them can cause problems though, so I'd recommend against trying to install Oldrim mods if you're a beginner.

OP says that they successfully scanned for Skyrim Special Edition, but the error message says "Skyrim"! They're different games. If your error message actually says "Skyrim Special Edition" then that's a different problem, and you probably just have to get NMM to detect your games again.

Note: "Skyrim" and "Skyrim Legendary Edition" are the exact same game (LE just comes with all three DLC). NMM never calls it Legendary Edition though.

Thx that is the answer i was looking for