Returning to a broken modlist ^^ got some questions.

teiselaise

So, I recently decided heck I'll boot up skyrim, i made a new save and played for around an hour with tons of crashes and inconsistencies, and I'm pretty sure its because of my mods :) when i made the modlist I'm using i was pretty reckless as far as i remember, back then i was just like, i need to play some skyrim, haven't played it in centuries and well, i couldn't play without mods right :) so, i got a tons of mods now, i like most of them, some are probably not required for me and I'm sure Theres a lot of incompatibility, my question is:

âHow should i fix my game?

I'm no pro at modding so I'm considering just redownloading skyrim from the start and then adding a couple mods, but are there any ways to fix a modlist? of course this depends but well, what are the possible possibilities :)

Thanks a lot.

For a new game, yes, you can fix a bad mod list.

Not always easy for a saved game, though, but correcting your load order can even help with saved games.

1. determine which Skyrim version you are using (assuming it is fully patched already, and play in off-line mode to avoid Stealth Updates. Steam? Schmeam!)

2. personally, I would avoid SSE "Creation Club" Garbage, and apparently some "updates" have broken things, which is why playing in off-line mode is essential with Schmeam)

3. get the latest SKSE for that version.

4. get the Unofficial Patches for that version from here or AFK mods.

5. decide which mods you really need and why you need them: playstyle, Bardsong, Druid/Ranger stuff, mechanics, realism, survival, camping, cooking, alchemy, building strongholds, housing mods, multiple followers, a few extra spells etc (like me), or loads of heavy duty graphics changes like some (not me - I don't want Skyrim looking like Cyrodil or some tropical jungle)

6. make sure you have the most recent updates for those mods for the Skyrim version you are using

7. Only get mods from Nexus, AFK, a few other places, but NEVER from Steam.

8. Follow mod author install instructions precisely, including if they say "Do not clean with TESVEdit"

9. Use something like LOOT to check load order

10. manually check load order and move things around if necessary. I always found LOOT much more volatile than BOSS, so I used BOSS and then jigged the load order according to what I knew is correct.

11. Avoid known, bad mods and too many mods with lots of new spawn points, especially if they are in the same places.

12. "There can Be only One" and "Last in, Last Loaded, similar things overridden"

Hopefully others will have some other tips.

I never use Mod Managers, so I can't help with that. The original UFO specifically said to never use a mod manager or the mod will be broken. It had it's own scripts for clean install and uninstall. If all mods were made like that, there'd be far fewer headaches.

Good Luck

:smile: