Transferring my FO4 and NMM into new computer

lvhoang

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy a new laptop for gaming (Alienware). My current FO 4 Has 245 Mods installed via NMM.

I was wondering if you could help me and let me know what files are critical to make sure NMM recognises what mods are installed, because some mods are installed through NMM via .esp, some others are just textures.

My current NMM lists all the mods installed (others are greyed out - I'm talking about the second tab, the one without the .esp list).

Please help me not mess up my NMM list :) I'm hoping to make the new NMM load order in the 2 tabs (esp list and list of mods) exactly like on my old computer.

Edited by lvhoang

There might be a glitch though. If you haven't updated your game for a while - eg. if you play off-line- Steam will throw in the latest update when you install. And that may - or may not- create some problems with your saves and/or mods. Last year I bought the seasons passs at the christmas sale. I had to go on-line for the first time in months. The game got updated and I had to download/install everything from scratch. And my saves were shot. But if your game and mods are up to date there shouldn't be any serious problems - I think.........

There might be a glitch though. If you haven't updated your game for a while - eg. if you play off-line- Steam will throw in the latest update when you install. And that may - or may not- create some problems with your saves and/or mods. Last year I bought the seasons passs at the christmas sale. I had to go on-line for the first time in months. The game got updated and I had to download/install everything from scratch. And my saves were shot. But if your game and mods are up to date there shouldn't be any serious problems - I think.........

That should only be a problem with F4SE related stuff. F4SE is up to scratch right now, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Besides the Data folder, you'll also want to back to the following directories that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 (This has all your saves and .ini files)

C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout4 (this is where NMM stores the install archives it uses, caches install data and a bunch of other data...make sure you back this up. Pretty sure this is the default location...this is where my NMM folder is anyway.)

C:\Users\<Username>AppData\Local\Fallout4 (this is where your plugins.txt file and load order data is stored. NMM will need this to know what mods you want active and what your current load order is.)

All this assumes that C: is your main drive. If you have this data stored on a different drive, substitute your drive letter.

If you're using Win10, you can use the File History feature to automatically back up these locations to an external drive on a regular schedule. Doing so has saved my bacon more than once and made it much easier to migrate to a new machine.

• 3 weeks later...