Solid grey instead of normal hair/scalp textures, even without mods

Nexus101010

I recently downloaded SSE and was preparing for a modded playthrough when certain parts of NPCs' hair and scalp became solid grey. When I used the console (coc RiftenOrigin) to transport myself to the Riften marketplace, it was dark green rather than grey. I disabled my hair mods, all mods, etc, and finally reinstalled SSE to no avail.

I'm using integrated Intel graphics which are below SSE's recommendations, but it was working fine on BethINI's Poor preset just a few days ago.

Here's a screenshot of this glitch during the opening sequence of a completely vanilla, freshly reinstalled game: https://i.imgur.com/dqKsClo.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks for the reply. By texture folders, do you mean the "Skyrim - Textures#.bsa" files? There's no textures folder in my Data folder at the moment, presumably because I've only reactivated USSEP and Alternate Start. And how could I get those missing scalp textures? Verifying file integrity through Steam hasn't changed anything.

I'd be quite surprised if a mod were causing this seeing as it still happened on a new vanilla game right after a reinstall. I've got very little experience with this sort of thing but I'll take a look with SSEEdit and maybe dig around in the bsa files when I have the time.

Well, I gave up and "fixed" the issue with Shiva's hair replacer (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7922/). Thanks to MrDjPeca on this thread for pointing me that way.

I've tried a couple other hair replacers but Shiva's was the only one that worked. The hairs are sometimes jarringly fancy (beggars looking fresh off the runway, lol) and small grey scalp patches still sometimes poke through, but it's tolerable. Hopefully future Googlers stumbling across this thread will find a better fix.

Edited by Nexus101010

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

same issue.
i had a fresh install, because i was haunted by this problem last try.

worked perfectly vanilla with USSEP, Bijin AIO and Alt start...

ran bethini poor and boom! grey artifacts on hir and beards.

Running Bethini again on higher quality didn't change it back, so trying Shiva's now....

Also of note is that using the "Restore to before Bethini" function did not remove the artifacts :S

I really don't want to do another fresh install, not 2 nights in a row.....

Edited by legolandmafia