NVSE Steam Loader file causes game to not run

ComradeJoseph

As in the title, the NVSE steam loader.dll file causes my game to run as a background process. I have no idea how to fix this problem and am thinking that it's causing my NVSE not to work because it doesn't have the file. The game runs fine without the .dll file installed, but I think it causes NVSE to not work properly. All responses are welcomed.

Not sure you what you intend by "causes my game to run as a background process". If you can interact with the game, then it is the foreground process. It suspends operations when it is "in the background" as a process.

Regardless, it sounds like you do not have NVSE installed correctly. Please see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide, which has both install instructions and how you can test it is functioning correctly.

Assuming you have Windows 10, there have been some recent reports of problems with NVSE that appear to be related to recent patches. If NVSE was working correctly prior to 15 Dec, then you need to enable the NVSE logging and report any errors in that file. Also covered in "Checklist item #4" linked above.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the reply. I'd upload an image of the background issue, but I'm not able to it seems like. What I mean is that with the nvse_steam_loader.dll installed in my FNV root folder, my game launches but disappears and only shows up as a background process in my task manager. Removing the file allows me to launch and play the game, but NVSE isn't working. I have the log from the nvse_log file but don't know what it means.

NVSE runtime: initialize (version = 5.1.4 040020D0 01D388378DCFF8AA)
imagebase = 00400000
fallout root = D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\
config path = D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\nvse_config.ini
plugin directory = D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\Plugins\
checking plugin D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\Plugins\\hook.dll
Hopefully someone will be able to help me decipher all of this. This is the only file that was created after the doing the logs BTW.

There are several NVSE logs. That is pretty typical for the "nvse.log". Take a look at the "nvse_steam_loader.log" It should be roughly a Kb in size (plus or minus) and end with the "launching" line.

What version of Windows are you running? What was the last major patch installed, and the most recent MS patch (KB number)?

Somehow your game is set to not run as "realtime priority". This is not normally something the end-user tinkers with; and not normal behavior for NVSE. Assuming it was not intentional, I have no idea how this was accomplished. Are you using a "shortcut"/"desktop link"? What is the command line?

You can see and adjust this priority in the "Windows Task Manager", but you should read up on it first.

-Dubious-

This is what my steam_loader log says:

nvse loader 05010040 (steam) 01D389095772E3EA
GetSystemTimeAsFileTime IAT = 00FDF184
original GetSystemTimeAsFileTime = 750D5430
patched GetSystemTimeAsFileTime = 61A824A0
GetStartupInfoA IAT = 00FDF190
original GetStartupInfoA = 75113420
patched GetStartupInfoA = 61A824C0
InstallHook: thread = 9132 retaddr = 00EDDBD7
appPath = d:\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe
dwSignature = FEEF04BD
dwStrucVersion = 00010000
dwFileVersionMS = 00010004
dwFileVersionLS = 0000020D
dwProductVersionMS = 00010004
dwProductVersionLS = 0000020D
dwFileFlagsMask = 00000017
dwFileFlags = 00000000
dwFileOS = 00000004
dwFileType = 00000001
dwFileSubtype = 00000000
dwFileDateMS = 00000000
dwFileDateLS = 00000000
version = 000100040000020D
steam exe
dll = d:\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\nvse_1_4.dll
old winmain = 0086A850
fallout root = d:\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\
config path = d:\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\nvse_config.ini
OnHook: thread = 9132
I run Windows 10. 56891 (OS Build 15063.850) is the last build patch installed. I set the FalloutNV executable as real-time priority as well, but it still runs as a background process. Also I launch the NVSE loader through Nexus Mod Manager.
Edited by ComradeJoseph

Your "steam_loader" log is missing the final "launching" line. Which is not surprising given things are not starting correctly.

That version means Win10 is patched to mitigate the "Meltdown" CPU vulnerability (as of 03 Jan 2018). It requires you to add your game files as "Application/Program" settings under WDEG. Please see the 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)' entry under the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I have no other ideas as to why you are still running as a "background process", unless it is a result of WDEG preventing it. Will be interested to know if that resolves that particular issue.

You might also try launching the "nvse_loader" outside of NMM. If it runs in the foreground as it should, then the issue is in NMM and how it is configured to start NVSE.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I'm reluctantly down to suggesting you uninstall and re-install NVSE completely. When you do so, please watch carefully for any messages during installation and try to capture their content. Then you will need to take the matter up with the NVSE team directly. Send an email to "team [at] nvse [dot] silverlock [dot] org". Suggest you pack up all the NVSE logs and include them along with your OS version and patch level as well so they have something to work with.

I will be very interested in hearing about any resolution. This "forced into becoming a background process" issue is uniquely strange.

-Dubious-

Is it something to do with Steam , since it is a back ground process ? Is it verifiably running other Steam Apps ?

Or need run a verify of NV with steam ?

But after an nvse re install would be good too.

Edited by Mktavish

• 10 months later...