Frosty Mod Manager unable to create folder

Qbangix

Tired playing moded BFII for the first time since before the last hotfix patch and the game will not launch via frosty anymore. Tried latest v1.0.4.4 and previous version of frosty, deleted moddata folder, updated mods, activated and deactivated various mods . . . nothing works anymore.

Edited by WYCorp

I found out what the potential issue is - at least what my issue was. Everyone kept saying that the symbolic error was due to permissions, but it wasn't. Firstly, try running command prompt. If it loads for a split second then cancels, then that's your issue. Apparently Windows 10 likes to screw up command prompts at times whenever you do a PC update. Mine was refusing to load and FMM needs command prompt to be working to be able to create ModData and the subsequent folders and files.

If that's the same issue for you, just google a fix. The only way I could get it to work was creating a new Admin User profile and then running FMM. Now it works like a dream.

Posting this here as I've had the issue for 4 or so months, and everyone on the Frostyeditor Discord has been replying condescendingly with 'ITS A PERMISSION ISSUE FOKKIN NOOB LOL CHECK THE SOLUTIONS TAB'. Yeah, nah, definitely wasn't a permissions issue.

Edited by imogeneA91

• 5 months later...

I found solution too. For me problem was that FMM was placed inside my download folder - moving it to root C:\ solved the issue - this time in 100%.

You wonderful person! This fixed it for me completely. Windows and it's damn permissions/folder structure bugs.

• 7 months later...

For all those still with an issue - solution:

Go to you SW:BF2 folder and create in it manually 'ModData' folder and in it 'Data' folder (and any folder that the exception message string will tell you in case there are more). This should fix it.

For some reason Frosty Mod Manager didn't have permission or something was wrong with the path to create it by its own.

Nop didnt work for me :(

• 5 months later...

There is an easy solution to the problem. Nothing of the things above worked for me, BUT!

You must change the folder, where your Battlefront 2 is installed. If it's installed on a HDD it's simply not gonna work. So make sure it is installed on a SSD, only through installing it to an SSD it will work.

Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...

the game and frosty both have to be installed on a primary drive, i had both on an external SSD and it kept giving me errors. after sleeping on it and coming back refreshed i reread the error and figured out that you cant do a symbolic link to an external drive. after reinstalling both on my C drive it worked just fine.

Any update on this? Still can't get it to work. Running as admin, creating folders manually, moving installation folders around...nothing will stop this error.

EDIT : Apparently there is an issue with exFAT hard drives. I'll move the game to NTFS and see if it fixes the problem.

UPDATE : Yeah, the exFAT formatted harddrive was the problem. Make sure the game and frosty are on NTFS file format hard drives.

Edited by Redshirt49