Getting some sort of screen tearing/texture flickering problem while settlement building

cyanide4suicide

Video of the problem:

I use the Transfer settlements and it tells me my sanctuary has 5000+ objects in it, I noticed some sort of tearing or flickering around the 4000 object mark. Is this a common graphical issue to have? Have I reached the limitations of my hardware/game engine? I haven't crashed while building yet, so this is just annoying visually.

My specs if it matters: i7 7700k, gtx 1080ti, 32gb ram

Edited by cyanide4suicide

It's likely caused by the huge amount of objects in the settlement that you mentioned, meaning the game engine is struggling to keep everything rendered. An easy way to confirm this is to go to a vanilla location on the opposite side of the map (or at least far away from any modded locations) - If it displays fine, you've narrowed it down to the game engine being under a lot of strain. Your system specs are fine btw, the game engine is just badly optimized.

I'm having the same issue and still haven't found a solution. In my case it would appear that once I add/build items past a certain stage in Sanctuary I get this texture ripping / ghosting /stretching. If I delete those objects or go to a past save, then the texture issue is resolved.

From what a few others have said in my google travels:

It could also be a combination of too many objects plus a particular mod (as others have said in their case). For some it appears to be purely a mod causing the issue and once removed everything is back to being awesome.

It's also possible that a cell has been edited or affected (usually by a scrapping type mod) and causing the problem.

One person managed to fix it by installing ENBoost and Fallrim Tools.

I've also managed to build more objects by dropping from Ultra settings right down to the lowest settings. Not the ideal situation but it enabled me to add hundreds more objects. But now I've hit a wall and can't find a solution.

I have about 240 mods installed and my specs are: 1080Ti and 16g ram and i7 6700K. Windows 10 on an SSD. Vsync is enabled.

If anyone has any solutions or ideas that would be awesome. I can return to playing the game.

ATM I'm thinking of replacing the textures with compressed, performance enhanced textures and see if by some small chance that makes a difference.

Edited by Nexuth

I'm having the same issue and still haven't found a solution. In my case it would appear that once I add/build items past a certain stage in Sanctuary I get this texture ripping / ghosting /stretching. If I delete those objects or go to a past save, then the texture issue is resolved.

From what a few others have said in my google travels:

It could also be a combination of too many objects plus a particular mod (as others have said in their case). For some it appears to be purely a mod causing the issue and once removed everything is back to being awesome.

It's also possible that a cell has been edited or affected (usually by a scrapping type mod) and causing the problem.

One person managed to fix it by installing ENBoost and Fallrim Tools.

I've also managed to build more objects by dropping from Ultra settings right down to the lowest settings. Not the ideal situation but it enabled me to add hundreds more objects. But now I've hit a wall and can't find a solution.

I have about 240 mods installed and my specs are: 1080Ti and 16g ram and i7 6700K. Windows 10 on an SSD. Vsync is enabled.

If anyone has any solutions or ideas that would be awesome. I can return to playing the game.

ATM I'm thinking of replacing the textures with compressed, performance enhanced textures and see if by some small chance that makes a difference.

Wow, it's great to hear I'm not the only person getting this issue, and it seems you've done more digging than I have for a solution.

I just decided to delete something like 500 objects from my settlement (a building I had constructed). I was able to reduce some of the flickering by doing this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I have the same problem actually. I built my Sanctuary from the ground up and it's basically a town now and experiencing the same screen tearing/ flickering. You can see the photo attached, this is with my Object Fade at half value. So what I tried is placing the Object Fading down to zero or the second to the last option and the screen tear disappeared whenever I'm at Sanctuary and enjoying my creation walking around or messing around. That's found in Settings > Display > Object Fade. You can try sliding down Actor, Grass, and Item, but for my purposes, since I'm into settlement building, it's the Object Fade that has made the tearing disappear. I have similar specs to your PC, so if you have't already, maybe this is worth a try on your part. :smile: Of course, if you don't want to compromise this aspect, you can always just reset your settings whenever you're not at a settlement with a lot of objects.

• 1 month later...

Had the same exact problem at my two largest settlements; Sanctuary and The Castle. Just far too many objects as far as I can tell. I've settled on just decreasing the object fade to almost zero when I'm hanging out at those particular settlements, and I've learned to make smaller more focused settlements.