Vampiric NPC Combat Overhaul *Mod Idea*

edwardvanlincoln

I was playing Skyrim earlier hunting some vampires as usual and suddenly... a thought hit me like a bolt of lightning. Why is it that we never see vampires using combat other than dual handing magic or having a one handed weapon and magic in the other hand? It's not when you become a vampire they hand you a rule book saying "Oh, you have to have magic equipped on at least one hand whenever you're trying to fight something and mainly use that regardless of what weapon you have on." Plus, if you become a vampire you're still able to use all your different weapons so how come they never do? There's even a Nord vamp in Castle Volkihar named Orthjolf who says, "We need strength, power. Not magic. Elves don't seem to understand that." and I think he's absolutely right! Why don't we ever see vampires who charge at you with two handed weapons or vampiric archers for instance? Every vampire I've seen over the course of the past 7 years have never used two handed weapons, duel wielded weapons, sword & shield or bows. I don't know if it would be lore friendly or not but why not make a mod that spices up the vampires for you to fight for some added diversity and difficulty? I don't know about you guys but I'm kinda bored with just standing there while a vampire zaps me with magic that basically does nothing, thanks to my enchantment skills, until I leisurely walk over and behead them. Just for the heck of it, I spawned in a random master vampire and used the "Disarm" shout on him, picked up his sword before he had a chance to pick it back up and dropped a dwarven great sword at his feet to see what would happen. He stood there zapping me with magic for a moment but then something wondrous happened... he picked up the sword and charged at me with it! That was the first time in 7 Years of vampire slaying I've encountered a vampire two handing a sword so it has to be possible to make vampires have a bit more variety in their combat styles.

Things I would like to see implemented

• Normal Vampires
    -Typical vampires like the ones in game now that use their magic in one hand and a sword/axe/mace in the other or dual wielding magic that are unchanged by the overhaul.
  • Vampiric Brutes
    - Vampires that use two handed weapons like Great Swords and Battleaxes (like some of the ones from Oblivion). Possibly Nords who became vampires that don't feel like going Full Elf with magic?
  • Vampiric Archers
    - Vampires that would use bows like typical Bandit Archers do to where if you get too close they'll go to their default combat style of sword & magic.
  • Vampiric Brawlers
    - Vampires that would use a one handed weapon and a shield.
  • Vampiric Shredders
    - Vampires that would dual wield weapons.
  • Vampire Lord / Volkihar Vampires
    - Vampires of whom were made by Lord Harkon, presumably over the previous centuries, having the ability to dawn the Vampire Lord form.

The only real problem I see in the conception of this is that I don't know a thing about creating mods. I could really use some help or advice in going about doing this because I think it would be absolutely spectacular for all you fellow Dawnguard nuts out there.

Edited by edwardvanlincoln

• 2 weeks later...