Remove a game from being managed

kamikatze13

Title. Can't find a button for this action.

Reason is, Vortex detected the wrong installation path (i have steamapps/common/skyrim symlinked to a folder in the root of another drive, the mods are also there) and i don't see how i can change the path.

UPDATE: reset vortex by deleting `%Appdata%\Vortex\state.v2`. Still auto-recognizes the folder/symlink inside steam and won't budge. Had to delete the symlink, manually locate the game, recreate symlink.

Edited by kamikatze13

I had this problem as well.

What "symlink inside steam" did you delete?

preface: i hate steam. and especially its library management - it's unreliable, wonky, can't select a drive root as a librariy, can't import a library unless it's empty ... i could go on forever.

so, i let steam do its thing and download stuff into, (e.g.for skyrim) E:/.../steamapps/common/Skyrim then go on and copy this skyrim folders contents onto my ssd (e.g. C:/tesv/main) and delete the folder in E:/.../steamapps/common/.

Next step, i create a symlink in E:/.../steamapps/common/Skyrim and let it point to C:/tesv/main, which makes steam believe skyrim is installed in E:\, when infact it isn't.

Now VO always thinks the game is installed in the /steamapps/common/ folder. To be able to set the path manually i had to fool VO into thinking i hadn't skyrim installed - i had to delete the contents of /steamapps/common/ - which was my symlink

bottom line: steam works, and i have my games managed the way I want to.

Edited by kamikatze13

I also have the same issue, I have multiply installation of my games(after messing up too much lol), one vanilla clean, one for modded playthrough and one for mod trials. I was able to manage the game pathing with NMM with ease but it seems like a huge hassle with Vortex. I can't seem to find a manual way to remove a managed game and make it recognize it from somewhere else, even though I do a Search Games removing the disk path entirely of the ones I want Vortex to ignore.

I also have the same issue, I have multiply installation of my games(after messing up too much lol), one vanilla clean, one for modded playthrough and one for mod trials. I was able to manage the game pathing with NMM with ease but it seems like a huge hassle with Vortex. I can't seem to find a manual way to remove a managed game and make it recognize it from somewhere else, even though I do a Search Games removing the disk path entirely of the ones I want Vortex to ignore.

yeah i tried to remove all drives from scanning, didn't work. as long as ther's skyrim in your steam folder, VO will auto-default to it. move skyrim someplace else and it'll offer you to set the path manually.

theoretically, i have four skyrim installations atm, de facto it's one installation and four mod organizer setups where i symlink mods between them.

i'd like to see how VO is able to manage multiple installations... which begs the question - can vortex even be installed multiple times?

Edited by kamikatze13

I also had this and after deinstall i installed vortex again and don't let vortex search and set game paths manually.

edit.

also if you have the wrong path in vortex rename the folder of this path and restart vortex he will say that he can't find the game and you can assing it correct manually.

I had this problem as well.

What "symlink inside steam" did you delete?

preface: i hate steam. and especially its library management - it's unreliable, wonky, can't select a drive root as a librariy, can't import a library unless it's empty ... i could go on forever.

so, i let steam do its thing and download stuff into, (e.g.for skyrim) E:/.../steamapps/common/Skyrim then go on and copy this skyrim folders contents onto my ssd (e.g. C:/tesv/main) and delete the folder in E:/.../steamapps/common/.

Next step, i create a symlink in E:/.../steamapps/common/Skyrim and let it point to C:/tesv/main, which makes steam believe skyrim is installed in E:\, when infact it isn't.

Now VO always thinks the game is installed in the /steamapps/common/ folder. To be able to set the path manually i had to fool VO into thinking i hadn't skyrim installed - i had to delete the contents of /steamapps/common/ - which was my symlink

bottom line: steam works, and i have my games managed the way I want to.

Pretty sure you can change the drive to which steam installs games. I have steam installed on C: and all my games installed on E:

Pretty sure you can change the drive to which steam installs games. I have steam installed on C: and all my games installed on E:

You can, but not in a way that i am content with.

example: i have battlegrounds installed at C:/PUBG. Can't have that with plain steam, can i?

Â

Pretty sure you can change the drive to which steam installs games. I have steam installed on C: and all my games installed on E:

Â

Â

You can, but not in a way that i am content with.

Â

example: i have battlegrounds installed at C:/PUBG. Can't have that with plain steam, can i?

Yeah, if youâre not happy with the way steam organizes things, youâre gonna have a harder time. Your way is a little more flexible in that you can scatter your actual game directories all over your file system, according to your own needs, and just have hard links or junctions in steamâs location.

Vortex currently has some requirements that make that flexibility...problematic, however. Also however, this is an alpha of the first version, so while handling that flexibility would be a good feature, I suspect it takes a back seat to primary functionality.

Fortunately, Vortex will be open source, so someone whoâs really interested in that feature could probably write a patch and petition for its inclusion.

• 3 months later...