Installed mod location....

Gygax82

As i understood things from following development on and off VORTEX would NOT place mods in SKYRIMS DATA folder but when i go looking for mods where do i find them?

That's right ladies and gents inside SKYRIMS DATA folder the exact place i DO NOT WANT MODS as it screws up skyrim by messing up textures just as like NMM(and its "auto update feature") and part of the reason i abandoned using that particular manager....

very disappointed in the program design of just dump things in DATA hope for the best and screw the user and all their hard work/time building a list that works for them

may return if the program uses the same/similar dynamic links as MO in future iterations as that design has NEVER required me to reinstall skyrim cause it broke everything....now i have to go and clean out my data folder so i dont face potential issues when using MO

and i KNOW its an ALPHA release and things are subject to change BUT the reason most people(myselfincluded) use MO is nothing touches DATA beyond SKSE....

if i have any of this wrong please feel free to enlighten me

Good luck to the design team and the poor sods who have to continually reinstall skyrim cause of managers breaking their game

but its back to MO for me

Good luck to the design team and the poor sods who have to continually reinstall skyrim cause of managers breaking their game

Hit the Purge Mods button to remove the LINKS. Hit Deploy Mods to restore the LINKS to your mods. Your data directory is safe. See previous discussion:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6358396-vortex-needs-to-not-install-mods-to-data-folder-period/

thanks for the link will have a read!

however i am very uncomfortable with anything more than SKSE in the game directory as NMM caused me so much wasted time when it broke the install i am now pathologically horrified to see even a dummy esp/esm or link in there....

....i know its early but its starting to look like VORTEX is NOT the manager for me as i noticed that i cannot manually sort things either and from what i have seen i will never be able too.. i need to move certain mods after loot has sorted the load order or i have issues with textures and glitches(an example is Ethereal elven overhaul and Bijin AIO if Bijin is at say 76 then EEO has to be at 77(or higher) or i get purple hairs and weird looking elves) so from how i see things i loose CONTROL of my mods and the one thing i like is control of my mods(the same reason why i refuse to use steam workshop)

however i am very uncomfortable with anything more than SKSE in the game directory as NMM caused me so much wasted time when it broke the install i am now pathologically horrified to see even a dummy esp/esm or link in there....

Right but remember nothing is actually there. You have nothing to worry about.
....i know its early but its starting to look like VORTEX is NOT the manager for me as i noticed that i cannot manually sort things either and from what i have seen i will never be able too.. i need to move certain mods after loot has sorted the load order or i have issues with textures and glitches(an example is Ethereal elven overhaul and Bijin AIO if Bijin is at say 76 then EEO has to be at 77(or higher) or i get purple hairs and weird looking elves) so from how i see things i loose CONTROL of my mods and the one thing i like is control of my mods(the same reason why i refuse to use steam workshop)
You haven't lost control of your mods. It's just a different (better) way of doing it. Vortex lets you manually set EEO behind Bijin so it will always do that when you sort your load order.

Right but remember nothing is actually there. You have nothing to worry about.
You haven't lost control of your mods. It's just a different (better) way of doing it. Vortex lets you manually set EEO behind Bijin so it will always do that when you sort your load order.

will give it more time but i still think drag and drop is going to be faster than having to constantly write new rules every time i add a mod that needs a specific load order and i am still not even sure its going to work when i need to rebuild merges with merge plugins(since the mods are non locatable)/open x edit for cleaning of even run loot

....so much to think about and learn its either going to be great fun or a massive disaster!

thanks for the info! always nice to be accurate

will give it more time but i still think drag and drop is going to be faster than having to constantly write new rules every time i add a mod that needs a specific load order and i am still not even sure its going to work when i need to rebuild merges with merge plugins(since the mods are non locatable)/open x edit for cleaning of even run loot

....so much to think about and learn its either going to be great fun or a massive disaster!

thanks for the info! always nice to be accurate

yeah it may be a little slower at first, but once you get used to it it works pretty fast.

Tannin the developer says it will be better this way so people don't mess up their load order among other reasons.

Hit the Purge Mods button to remove the LINKS. Hit Deploy Mods to restore the LINKS to your mods. Your data directory is safe. See previous discussion:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6358396-vortex-needs-to-not-install-mods-to-data-folder-period/

well, hardlinks. which are after all the direct representation of a file in NTFS. there's zero difference between the hardlink created by vortex and the initial hardlink created by windows' explorer after you extracted the mod contents somewhere, except that there's a json database which keeps track of additionally created hardlinks.

i'm not a fan of hardlinks and aliasing, but willing to see if it'll work out.