Skyrim VR and Steam - what's the deal?

FInally set up with Oculus and Skyrim VR. I'm not sure what to think.... first impressions were: muddy, unfocussed, uncontrollable...

Modded it with textures, grasses, water, Obsidian, Majestic Mountains and Rudy ENB (etc). Now it looks pretty, unfocussed, more controllable. :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

But interacting in a pub is amazing. All the NPCs are small-headed... and it is weird seeing the companion Recorder in 3D.

I just wish it were crisper. :sad: Anyhoo - press on and explore. Thanks for your help folks!

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of tweaking - glad to say it's now looking pretty awesome! But out of the box it is truly diabolical.

Really, Bethesda should have tried one heck of a lot harder on this one. To have to tweak a commercial product so much is ridiculous!

Anyhow - looking good now and very playable. Just need to go and get some spectacles... :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

I know what you mean.. but honestly, I'm glad Bethesda did it. I really am. I wish others would do it to.

Your right - for such a well established team, you would think they would get it right at the start. It still astonishes me. But I think it was their passion rather than their desire for cash that led them to do it.

i know that sounds naive, especially as they are charging full price for essentially a mod - but i reckon they wont have made much if at all while we are still in our VR early stages.

I wish other developers would provide a VR mod to their games.

Some have done it and well done to them. Payday 2, the forest, rfactor 2, elite etc.. (to name a few)

Still. hoping to get my head back into vr again soon.

• 1 month later...

LOL! It can be made to look pretty amazing with the right mod & tweak combos. I've gotten a fair way in to half a dozen playthroughs with different characters and mod combinations with fantastic results, but you have to be careful. My current one's halfway hosed because of some mod conflicting with the rest; I have blue plastic smelters, food, and some other stuff. It's tedious going thru everything to find out the cause (243 mods installed on this one). I added in a couple "dlc" sized adventures and texture mods most recently but wasn't in town areas at first, so didn't notice until I'd already removed some other mods and rearranged load order a few times in Vortex, so I might just start over. Even LOOT can't figure it out... too many circular references