Help with weird Tree Lod issue!

Rivendell45

Hello everybody,

I'm struggling to find what´s causing a particular tree model to pop up only at close range. I've tried messing with textures/meshes, got my DynDOLOD SE version running, changed a few lines in the .ini files, nothing seems to work at all. I can't tell if it's a lod problem, DynDOLOD seems to be working fine but the bug is still there. The aspen tree hd texture looks fine when you´re close to it, at distance though you can clearly see it´s not even the same model, it just looks black. By the way, I've been using an Oldrim Winter Overhaul mod since I installed SkyrimSE and I never had any issues with it so I suppose something just happened there recently because I've got 200h+ in-game so far and I've just noticed it a few days ago. I'll leave my mod list here and a few screenshots to see if anyone can give me any ideas on how to sort this out.

A few screenshots:

Notice how in Solstheim some snowpines are not even.

Trees in the distance use billboards. You need to download the billboards that match your trees. If your mod that effect trees didn't include a billboard there is nothing you can do. Well you could download billboards for vanilla trees but they might look to off if they should be covered in snow or the leaves are different color.

Let me back up a bit. I use SSELODGen not DynDOLOD. I think they use the same method for LODs but I might be wrong about that. The problem you have would happen if you didn't have a tree billboard in SSELODGen.

Trees in the distance use billboards. You need to download the billboards that match your trees. If your mod that effect trees didn't include a billboard there is nothing you can do. Well you could download billboards for vanilla trees but they might look to off if they should be covered in snow or the leaves are different color.

Let me back up a bit. I use SSELODGen not DynDOLOD. I think they use the same method for LODs but I might be wrong about that. The problem you have would happen if you didn't have a tree billboard in SSELODGen.

The problem was already there before I installed DynDOLOD. That's exactly why I installed it, to see if it´d fix the lod with these trees. The Vanilla billboards/Tree lods and the Winter Overhaul billboards/trees patch don´t seem to do anything and DynDOLOD wouldn't have installed at all if I hadn't had them. I also tried SSELODGen but it did nothing either.

Edited by Rivendell45

The problem was already there before I installed DynDOLOD. That's exactly why I installed it, to see if it´d fix the lod with these trees. The Vanilla billboards/Tree lods and the Winter Overhaul billboards/trees patch don´t seem to do anything and DynDOLOD wouldn't have installed at all if I hadn't had them. I also tried SSELODGen but it did nothing either.

DynDOLOD handles LODs, all LODs not just trees. Whether or not you have billboards would not effect the ability to install it. If you installed the billboards, generated the LODs, placed the LODS in the correct folder and don't see them in game then you installed or placed something in the wrong place. The game can't not show the LODs if they are in the correct place. I'm not sure about DynDoLOD but SSELODGen would have given you a error message if you didn't have billboards.. If you generated the LODs without error and don't see them in game you didn't put them in the correct folder. There is no other reason you wouldn't be able to see them.

As Baron Of Hell said, it could be a problem of missing Billboards. Make sure you do the following (in exactly this order!) to give Dyndolod a good starting base:

1. Install "Dyndolod Resources"

2. Install "Indistinguishable vanilla billboards" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11446). Let it overwrite "Dyndolod resources".

3. Install the Billboards from "Oldrim" SCO. Again, let them overwrite everything.

4. (maybe not necessary, but won't hurt either): Re-use "TexGen" and install its output. Once again, "yes" to overwrite.

Now run Dyndolod...

If that still doesn't work, check Dyndolod options ("Advanced" tab): "tree lod" enabled? Also look at the rule for "trees". It should read "Billboard, Biollboard, Billboard and (IMHO) "far LOD". Also take a close look at your Dyndolod logs. Dyndolod gives out a warning, if it can't generate tree LOD, but thta's just a line among all the others in a large log. Usually, you'd also get this message only once per "world". So it's quite easy to overlook...

EDIT: Another idea: Try, what happens, if you put "trees in Cities" above everything from SCO in your load order. Do this before generating LOD with Dyndolod again. don't think it would matter, but worth a try. If I haven't overlooked something, "Trees in Cities" should be the only other file directly affecting trees.

DynDOLOD handles LODs, all LODs not just trees. Whether or not you have billboards would not effect the ability to install it. If you installed the billboards, generated the LODs, placed the LODS in the correct folder and don't see them in game then you installed or placed something in the wrong place. The game can't not show the LODs if they are in the correct place. I'm not sure about DynDoLOD but SSELODGen would have given you a error message if you didn't have billboards.. If you generated the LODs without error and don't see them in game you didn't put them in the correct folder. There is no other reason you wouldn't be able to see them.

As Baron Of Hell said, it could be a problem of missing Billboards. Make sure you do the following (in exactly this order!) to give Dyndolod a good starting base:

1. Install "Dyndolod Resources"

2. Install "Indistinguishable vanilla billboards" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11446). Let it overwrite "Dyndolod resources".

3. Install the Billboards from "Oldrim" SCO. Again, let them overwrite everything.

4. (maybe not necessary, but won't hurt either): Re-use "TexGen" and install its output. Once again, "yes" to overwrite.

Now run Dyndolod...

If that still doesn't work, check Dyndolod options ("Advanced" tab): "tree lod" enabled? Also look at the rule for "trees". It should read "Billboard, Biollboard, Billboard and (IMHO) "far LOD". Also take a close look at your Dyndolod logs. Dyndolod gives out a warning, if it can't generate tree LOD, but thta's just a line among all the others in a large log. Usually, you'd also get this message only once per "world". So it's quite easy to overlook...

EDIT: Another idea: Try, what happens, if you put "trees in Cities" above everything from SCO in your load order. Do this before generating LOD with Dyndolod again. don't think it would matter, but worth a try. If I haven't overlooked something, "Trees in Cities" should be the only other file directly affecting trees.

All billboards and Vanilla tree lods are installed properlly. I've tried exactly what you recommended. Neither SSELODGen nor DynDOLOD gave me any errors or issues when trying to install them and I followed GamerPoets' guide step-by-step. I've messed around (deleted them or replaced them with SCO´s files ) a bit with the .BTT files on Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees and some of those black models seem to have disappeared. It´s not fixed yet though, now they show as Snowpines at distance but convert back to the aspen trees as you get closer.

Here: