Oblivion Setup.exe Has Stopped Working

After numerous mod conflicts that lead to the destruction/corruption of all my Oblivion save files, I decided to nuke it all, and start over with a fresh install. However, when I tried to uninstall, the uninstaller wouldn't work. I proceeded to try different uninstallers, such as ccleaner, but with the same results. Determined, I soldiered on, and deleted the Oblivion folder in my Program Files. However, Oblivion still showed up in my add/remove programs list. I then proceeded to use regedit to delete all the registry keys for Oblivion, but yet it still persisted in the add/remove programs. I decided that there was nothing more I could do at this point, and put in my Oblivion disk and hit the setup icon. It buzzed and whirred for a few seconds before giving my the error message, "Oblivion Setup.exe has stopped working".

I have tried everything I know how to do, save nuking my OS and starting again. Any advice you could give will be immensely appreciated.

P.S. I read the "Problems with reinstalling Oblivion" thread, and nothing in there helped at all. I've done my homework.

Have you tried this one? It has helped thousands of people with uninstalling/reinstalling Oblivion. Do not skip any steps of you may have to do it again. :thumbsup:

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Ah. I guess it was a problem with my Oblivion disk. I torrented one and it worked fine. Ironic. To get what I paid for, I have to pirate what I've already bought. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Just a thought, but it could also be that your drive is getting worn. I had a similar problem a while back, and found that re-installing from another, newer, drive on my network did the trick.

(In passing, I wouldn't mention either the T-word or the P-word around here again if I were you :tongue: )

Edited by roquefort