Vortex 15.2 login/register button does nothing

natranr

So I just installed the latest version of Vortex into my W10 machine. I tried clicking the button to register Vortex to my Nexusmods account and the button does nothing at all. I tried rebooting, changing what browser is set to default, nothing works. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

When you say "register Vortex to my Nexusmods account" I assume you mean the Button labeled "Log In On Website"?

Do other links/buttons that would open the default browser work? Like the "Go Premium" button on the Dashboard?

Because all they do is essentially ask Windows to open a link in the default browser.

Do you run Vortex or your Browser as admin?

Which browser are you using (as default)?

Could you maybe test if this command on the command line works:

cmd /c start "" /b /wait https://www.nexusmods.com

?

All buttons (login/go premium) doesn't work.

I'm not sure if Vortex or my browser are running as admin, should they be or not?

My default is Firefox, but I also have MS Edge and Google Chrome and for some reason that virus MSHTA.exe keeps trying to install Chromium and Bing/Yahoo search might have something to do with it even though I've since uninstalled Chromium and reset my default search engine. Chromium still shows in the list to select default browser though.

cmd /c start "" /b /wait https://www.nexusmods.com

I assume that goes into cmd and not a command line for vortex it self? I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Edit: Now I'm having a new problem. CMD crashes and won't start up. launching CMD from start causes the cmd window to appear for a split second before crashing. I'm gonna google this. This has never happened before.

Edited by natranr

Hrm, cmd crashing would explain why Vortex can't start the browser. Never heard about that happening though. You could check the Windows "Event Viewer", maybe that has an error message for cmd.

Vortex shouldn't be run as admin. The webbrowser must absolutely not be run as administrator, that would be a huge security problem.

Once I get around to it, I'll boot into safe mode, limited startup and try starting CMD.

I think it's because of an update from Microsoft that broke CMD. I saw posts from Google from others with the same issue and no fixes that I could find.

I figured out why CMD was crashing. I had a miner called sound mixer in the appdata folder for microsoft. It had a registry edit to autorun the miner when CMD starts. I fixed all that and CMD works and now Vortex should work. Though its a bit to late as I already used NMM, Wrye Bash and OBMM for Oblivion. But now I can use Vortex for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4!

• 3 months later...

I've installed vortex on my W10 pc and it won't connect to my NexusOnline account so that I can use it to download and manage my mods with it. All the other web links work fine and I don't have any issue with my OS i.e. everything else on my pc is working fine. What is the fix for this problem? BTW I'm using it for Skyrim original at this time.

A correction: the "Handel Nexus Links" and "Profile Management" buttons don't work either. I imagine it's because Vortex doesn't recognize my login status.

Edited by MaxXavier417