Gamepad joystick WITH keyboard and mouse support

takieda

This is both a request for the mod, as well as a request for any information that someone might have to help create one. I don't mind getting my hands dirty on this one if I can figure it out, but I'm starting out at scratch, and I've busted through the individual files of seemingly similar mods with little success, so I'm really starting kind of day one here with this idea. Basically:

I've got a G13 and I've got it working with the joystick in analog mode in Skyrim, BUT, it completely removes mouse support (which breaks the game for me, really), and I've seen others saying they'd like to be able to use the left joystick of an Xbox 360 controller with the mouse for look. Unfortunately, Bethesda looks poised to NEVER WANT TO DO THIS SIMPLE THING, so it's up to us/you/whoever modders to implement this very idea.

For info on how to get Skyrim working with the G13 as described above:

This is just a first couple of steps. I've managed to get the controller working in game, but at a cost of other things, however, perhaps one of you can have better luck?Step 1 is to get the joystick working AS a joystick. Open the Logitech Gaming Software, click the G button at the bottom of the window, select the Skyrim profile, then click on any of the four direction arrows surrounding the joystick (the down arrow that appears over the directional arrows), then click "Assign Joystick."

To be sure this has worked correctly (if you're running Windows 7) Click Start -> Control Panel -> Devices and Printers, then right click on the Logitech G13 (or if not listed as such, just right click on "HID-compliant game controller", then click "Game controller settings." Make sure "Logitech G13 Joystick" is selected, then click "Properties" and move the joystick around. You should see the crosshairs move in the window that pops up.

Next, click the link below:

Analog Joystick in Skyrim

The link above is to get another controller, the Logitech Rumblepad 2, working in Skyrim. It does this, as far as I can tell, by emulating the Xbox 360 controller using the Rumblepad 2. The problem is, in game it removes mouse usability, as well as most buttons on the keyboard (which is what most of the keys are on the G13 - but it gets the joystick working in game.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to get this working, I'm game, as I would LOVE to have full analog control over my walking in the game (and free up the walking button to boot).

After a lot of thought on the subject (while searching the Creation Kit and google a lot) I think this mod, while a good idea, is far too underreaching for what it could/should be. There are so many issues people have with the keybinding system in the game that, realistically, the entire thing needs to be revamped. I'm not exactly sure where to start with it, but I thought that if my only goal were the above mod, then a lot of work might be done in the wrong direction to create a mod that only does half of what it should.

What this mod should do in the end:

Allow people to change keybinds to any button on the keyboard, mouse, or any plugged in joystick.

Allow people to use analog joysticks, keyboards, and mice, together (i.e. no restrictions, just accept all forms of input)

Do all of this within the Skyrim program, as if it was built in.

This might be acceptable even if done through a book mod, or a summonable NPC, but it should overwrite the actual UI (similar to how SkyUI works).

Now there are a lot of mods out there that do a damn good job of some of this stuff, but none that do it just right (360 key enabler is awesome, but, once again, needs to be in the interface, and doesn't address mice. Interface Hardcoded Key tweaks takes it a step further with full keybind capabilities, but once again is outside of skyrim itself).

considering SkyUI uses SKSE heavily, i'm going to start to delve into that to see if i can get somewhere... dunno how, as I've never dealt with this before, but I'm not giving up on this very needed mod.

Hey there, Just a thought have you tried xpadder?

Excellent program, allows you to assign any keyboard buttons or mouse to a game controller, I use it to play skyrim with xbox controller and still allow the keyboard to work for things that aren't on the built-in xbox controller option (such as automatic running)

Hope this helps

Hey there, Just a thought have you tried xpadder?

Excellent program, allows you to assign any keyboard buttons or mouse to a game controller, I use it to play skyrim with xbox controller and still allow the keyboard to work for things that aren't on the built-in xbox controller option (such as automatic running)

Hope this helps

The problem is, programs like xpadder can't get Skyrim to use one or both analog joysticks AND keyboard and mouse. It effectively does the same thing as the G13 software by emulating keypresses with the joysticks so that you can press up on the joystick and it sends the signal W to the game, left sends A, right sends D, and down sends S. This does not allow for smooth use of the joystick by any stretch, and instead, makes devices like the G13 a relatively useless device (specifically because the keyboard has more keys and the G13 really doesn't do anything more without the use of its analog joystick).

There are plenty of players who've mentioned they want to use one of the 360's joysticks and the mouse for motion and viewing, etc... nothing, so far, does this at all, let alone adequately.

And realistically, in the end, we still need a completely revamped keybinding system that is controlled entirely within Skyrim itself. Also, consider, this should allow control of audio WHILE in the game. It's sad how limited Bethesda decided to make the control system in Skyrim (thank you console port).

But very good point on the program itself, this will definitely help other users, but like so many other mods, it's not the end result that is needed, just a good patch to the painful wound that is the Skyrim control system.

Edited by takieda

• 7 months later...
Did anyone get anywhere with this? I'm desperate to get a 360 pad + mouse working at the same time (not via xpadder) for use with my VR setup... My VR setup emulates the mouse for headtracking and I use a pad for movement / combat. Problem is, and as others have stated, a pad emulating W,S,A & D key presses is pretty basic and you loose the advantage of precise movement control via the analog sticks.

The problem is, programs like xpadder can't get Skyrim to use one or both analog joysticks AND keyboard and mouse. It effectively does the same thing as the G13 software by emulating keypresses with the joysticks so that you can press up on the joystick and it sends the signal W to the game, left sends A, right sends D, and down sends S. This does not allow for smooth use of the joystick by any stretch, and instead, makes devices like the G13 a relatively useless device (specifically because the keyboard has more keys and the G13 really doesn't do anything more without the use of its analog joystick).

There are plenty of players who've mentioned they want to use one of the 360's joysticks and the mouse for motion and viewing, etc... nothing, so far, does this at all, let alone adequately.

And realistically, in the end, we still need a completely revamped keybinding system that is controlled entirely within Skyrim itself. Also, consider, this should allow control of audio WHILE in the game. It's sad how limited Bethesda decided to make the control system in Skyrim (thank you console port).

But very good point on the program itself, this will definitely help other users, but like so many other mods, it's not the end result that is needed, just a good patch to the painful wound that is the Skyrim control system.

If you do it right, you can get xpadder to provide a smooth joystick experience and also use the mouse and keyboard at the same time. I did it with Oblivion and was going to do it with Skyrim too, but Skyrim had better Xbox controller support than Oblivion did, so it didn't seem worth the trouble. You bind keyboard and mice buttons to the gamepad, but that doesn't inherently stop you from still using the keyboard and mouse at the same time.

The key is preventing Skyrim (or Oblivion) from recognizing or doing anything with a gamepad that's plugged in. If it "sees" the gamepad, it will disable the mouse and keyboard and activate it's native gamepad support. What you want, if you're using xpadder, is for the game to stay in keyboard and mouse mode. Then you can use the keyboard and mouse all you want and also pickup your gamepad at the same time because, through xpadder, the gamepad is using the keyboard and mouse. In Oblivion, I was able to completely disable it's gamepad support mostly by removing lines from the config.ini.

As I mentioned, you can get a smooth joystick experience with xpadder. You just have to pick the right options. In "Mouse Settings" for each stick, I recommend setting it to "Cursor" mode and setting the emulation speed to whatever is comfortable. For some games I do about 80, for others 150. It depends on the game. From there, you just have to adjust to the feel for each game. Anyone who has played a lot of console FPS's knows what I mean.

• 1 year later...

One word. No, TWO: Oculus Rift! :-)

It's a long time gone now, since this thread was opened and needs have changed drastically. ;-) Now a mod which allows mousetracking and gamepad use simultaneously would be highly welcome and more usefull than ever: for a really convenient VR-experienace it's really important to have native gamepad-mapping and analog stick functionality.

When you want to play a game like Skyrim or Fallout with Oculus Rift a VR injector like VorpX - which is really very cool - needs definitivly the mouse input for free, fluid head tracking. But it's not really convenient to play games like Skyrim or Fallout with gamepad emulators like Pinnacle or Xpadder, because the analog movement-possibilities are lost and the binding of the native Gamepad-mapping is also gone, which is really a pitty in this special case. The VR-experiance is not "smooth" as possible.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer or modder. But I think it is at least a good idea to ask if meanwhile anyone knows a workaround or solution for this problem?

Edited by reddwarf76

• 11 months later...

Necro thread, sorry for that.

Only in 2 words: xinput vs directinput

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Xbox console games are a payne for computer players.

We need source code of games, to rebuild proper computer multi perifericals :s

Only game developers can do that.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput

This is why we have problems since a while, & we have less freedom into multidevices, the paradox is we have a bunch of exotic, cool, perifericals on computer & could be fun to use them all at same time....

• XInput does not support keyboards, mice, or mouse-type devices. While this mirrors Microsoft's recommendation not to use DirectInput with these devices, programmers can use DirectInput with these devices.

• XInput supports maximum of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. (The number of axes, buttons and triggers XInput supports corresponds directly to the Xbox 360 controller.)

We call that: Code regression....

Edited by Ralphons