Surprise! Fallout 4 is crashing.

BerzerkingLemur

I have a similar flickering problem using Vanilla ENB and NAC. Mostly when I enter open doorways or walk past plants. Something to do with NAC's interior lighting? Not sure ... would like to see an answer on that as well. But for me it happens only occasionally. Might also be some ENB effects interfering as I stubbornly installed all its files. But the atmosphere that NAC brings to interiors and combat and the control to climate and weather is worth it for me.

p.s. To me FO4 is the most fluid and stable Bethesda game so far and I have been playing their games with mods since Morrowind. I was actually used to Beth games crashing every hour while FO4 almost never crashes while playing it. What I've read about your case it seems a lot of bad luck really.

Edited by dikr

"Something to do with NAC's interior lighting?"

Probably. In my case tweaking some of the ENB's options (shift + enter) helped me greatly. I have no flickering now, even rain is kinda... well, transparent now - not completely black, as it used to be. I have lots of screenshots of psychedelic landscapes;-)

"I have been playing their games with mods since Morrowind"

I remember first Bethesda game which i ever played. It was Terminator: Rampage:-):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0X44bUo8XQ

"What I've read about your case it seems a lot of bad luck really."

Nah, it's just me:-)

Modding Fallout 4 is like neverending story. I have another issue with NAC. It's not a bug, but nights are very, very dark. I can barely see anything. I set "brighter nights" option to highest level, but i still...

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/4651439872/hDB591333/

Is there anything i can do to make it more bright? There are of course other mods like better Pip-Boy light, but that's not the case...

Edited by BerzerkingLemur

Started a new game and my flickering issue is gone too. Occasionally some issues with foggy conditions rendering weirdly but apart from that NAC is working great. And I am spamming that screenshot button too these days :) (Got a mod to quickly hide my UI with a favorite key installed now to help me with that).

My nights are really dark too but I kind of like that. NAC has some night vision headwear options in the chemlab which come in handy in some interiors or outside but I mainly sleep through the nights and add a lot of lighting to settlements. Not sure how to make them lighter apart from NAC's settings.

Good to hear you are finally enjoying the game!

"Started a new game and my flickering issue is gone too. Occasionally some issues with foggy conditions rendering weirdly but apart from that NAC is working great. And I am spamming that screenshot button too these days :smile: (Got a mod to quickly hide my UI with a favorite key installed now to help me with that)."

Yup, i'm using this mod too. Except that, i use LC's Screenshot Assistant:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13004

It's great to make dynamic screenshots during combat for example.

"NAC has some night vision headwear options in the chemlab which come in handy in some interiors or outside but I mainly sleep through the nights"

I have some NV goggles in my inventory, so i have serious reason to try them walking through these black tar nights:-)

"Good to hear you are finally enjoying the game!"

Thanks!:-)

It really depends on how many RPG elements are in this action - RPG game;-) In terms of sightseeing, it's more than good. Exploration is one of the strongest points of Fallout 4. We'll see about other things:-)

Thank you for your help once again!:-)

Thanks for the tip! Never tried Screenshot Assistant. Will give it a go. I agree that FO4 has its limitations in the RPG department. Lackluster writing here and there, a lack of meaningful choices, a general lack of dark and harsh atmosphere or experiences, (apart from Far Harbor), and a lot of filler content, rather than full fledged, unique quests (like FO New Vegas had).

But like you I still enjoy the gameworld, the sightseeing and the settlement building too. Mods like Advanced AI, Raider Overhaul and Unbogus Health Scaling while playing on (modified) survival mode also keep the combat challenging and a lot of fun. (Had to assault Easy City Downs yesterday to save a kidnapped settler and I never had as much fun doing it (and dying a few times trying to work out the best tactics) as this time around with those mods installed).You know that feeling that you're almost trembling at the end of a fight and have the urge to immediately save the game to preserve the wonderful fact that somehow you're still alive. Sometimes I even end up with fewer stimpacks as I set out with so that's saying something too, hehe.

Catch you later Lemur!

Hi

I am getting flickering now. I think it started for me with the last Nvidia driver update.

The only thing I know that cuts the flicking down is 2x DSR. I play at 4k so using DSR for image quality is pointless. I put it on for testing a few months ago and forgot to turn it off. As soon as I did turn it off I got flickering. In the past using adaptive vsync got rid of flicker but not this time.

I also have gotten more CTDs this month than I have had in the last 2 years. I have updated mods but have not installed any new game changer mods. I am going to transfer my save to computer I have that is setup to not update. It also uses a pre CC executable. If it still CTDs I will know that it is in the save.

Later

@dikr

"Thanks for the tip! Never tried Screenshot Assistant. Will give it a go. I agree that FO4 has its limitations in the RPG department. Lackluster writing here and there, a lack of meaningful choices, a general lack of dark and harsh atmosphere or experiences, (apart from Far Harbor), and a lot of filler content, rather than full fledged, unique quests (like FO New Vegas had).

But like you I still enjoy the gameworld, the sightseeing and the settlement building too. Mods like Advanced AI, Raider Overhaul and Unbogus Health Scaling while playing on (modified) survival mode also keep the combat challenging and a lot of fun. (Had to assault Easy City Downs yesterday to save a kidnapped settler and I never had as much fun doing it (and dying a few times trying to work out the best tactics) as this time around with those mods installed).You know that feeling that you're almost trembling at the end of a fight and have the urge to immediately save the game to preserve the wonderful fact that somehow you're still alive. Sometimes I even end up with fewer stimpacks as I set out with so that's saying something too, hehe."

Probably you were able to capture the pure essence of this game:-)

@jones177

I really don't know how to help you. Which graphic mods are you using? Let us know how the save solution works out.

Hi again.

The CTDs and flicker went away on my computer that has no updates.

The only other difference in the computers is that the resolution is lower(3440X1440) on the zero update computer.

Testing with Fallout 4 Performance Monitor I also found that my GPU was running at 100% most of the time at 4k & 74% most of the time at 3440 X 1440. I dropped the resolution on my 4k computer to 1440 and the flicker & CTDs went away as well.

I have been playing Fallout 4 at 4k since the game out. GPU usage has always been high at that resolution. Why is it causing issues now?

I don't use graphic mods on Fallout 4. I do use them on Skyrim/SE though. My modded game is about being attacked by large numbers of enemy NPCs. The look of the vanilla game is fine with me.

My fix is dropping the resolution and taking the stress off my GPU. I will revisit 4k again sometime in the future.

Later

You guys seem to be able to get the game running in some form at least, I have ran a heavily modded FO4 many times in the past but recently I thought after a year or so out of the loop I would try the new Vortex Mod Manager and yet, when I install it, edit the custom ini for mods and install FO4SE, running script extender through Vortex seems to cause the game to lose all textures in the intro screen, all I can see is the green lettering "press any key" and behind that blackness, then it crashes seconds later....

Anyone heard of this issue?