To Mod, or not to Mod?

Hello,

I was looking for advice for someone new to modding, can you help me?

I have a few ideas but first want to start small.

My first experience with modding was for Morrowind,

I messed around with adding npcs and the like but didn't know how to lock the environment so I could move the camera without moving stuff

(like trees , rocks and houses) in a vanilla game.TES Dev/creation kits seem to be quite unstable last time I tried,

but I don't know exactly which game I want to mod.

I was thinking of trying my hand at 3d modelling but unable to lock in one the was good enough, for games.

my exp is that most 3d modelling games don't have a great XYZ axis movement, google sketch seemed to be easier but Im not sure I can use that for games.

The only exp with textures was GTA3, which was quite simple, oh and also minecraft!

So can anyone recommend me a great place to start modding? and any good games with stable enough dev kits to try

I want to build myself up to maybe make a simple FPS with the source engine or something (I'm quite unsure how to mod half life and any others by the same)4

If you don't want to, can you share your first experience with modding and the trials and errors you came up with.

I'd love to hear em.

Check the link in my sig. We have classes there for the various construction kits. :) It will get you familiar with how things work. It's a start. Word of warning though, once you start, it becomes an addiction, and you will spend FAR more time in the CK, than you will playing the game. :D

• 2 weeks later...