⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Dr Usanagi implants for companions

CDM13

Oddly, I haven't been able to find any discussions on this. I guess most of the implants wouldn't be massively useful, though +4 DT isn't anything to sneeze at in any mode. It seems logical and it would be a nice little money sink.

The only remotely relevant discussion I found was this, which seems to indicate it should be possible, at least. :smile:

Definitely wouldn't apply to ED-E, probably not to Rex, and maybe not to Lily and Raul. (Maybe Lily and Rex could get the 6 physical implants with a Medicine and/or Science skill check, and/or a consultation with Dr Henry.) I can't think of any physiological difficulties in giving implants to Cass, Veronica, Arcade, or Boone, though.

The Endurance limit would apply as normal.

Maybe the monocyte breeder would have to be excluded if it caused scripting headaches, but that one's even less relevant for companions than players anyway, unless you're using some kind of mod which prevents their automatic health recovery.

Am I missing something super-obvious, or might this work?

Edited by CDM13

I haven't checked it in the geck, but *if* the perks are entry points they only work on the player, actor effects should be transferable (I believe). But you can get around that by scripting stat increases directly via modav or creating new actor effects (that can be added or removed). The link that you posted also shows an alternate method that could work (but that I'v never used).

You'll need to add a lot more topics to the dialogue quests (one for each of the implants multiplied by the number of companions) with conditions on each so they can't go over the max # or have multiple implants.

Those two issues/points would be the first things that come to mind.

Actually, on the topic of applying perks to NPCs, how difficult would it be to make every NPC heal like they had a Monocyte Breeder? Preferably in a way that's compatible with this mod.

It would depend on how the author did it. If it's a script based actor effect adding it to a npc should be pretty straight forward, as would adding a object script to a npc. But adding it to all NPCs could be problematic not just creating the script (to add the actor effect) with refid's of every NPC in the game, but also because there are different levels of activity for NPCs depending on wheather the player is in the same cell. I don't know if those scripts are processed in cells the player isn't active in, not to mention how much cpu overhead to have these running on a huge number of refs.

Hmm, I guess it's an investment vs payoff thing; you'd get maybe marginally better performance for what sounds like a fair amount of work, and no appealing change in visuals or behavior. I can see now there's no real point in doing it.

Thank you for the response! :)

I like this idea a lot, its also easily doable, all it would take is duplicating the excising implant perks, condition them to apply to only a specific companion and adding them to the players hidden companion perk list with player.addperk IDHere 1, that could be done through dialogue with the Doc. The benefit of boosting the companions SPECIAL stats is basically 0 but a money sink is never a bad thing, the game throws caps at you constantly anyway.

I may end up making this mod myself, can't promise anything however.

(Also just as a bit of side info, NPCs can't benefit from or keep perks, only the companions can be effected by perks when they're placed in the companion perk list, which is actually technically a second sepreate list of the players perks, the perks in this list only effect them when they're actually following you also.)

Actually, on the topic of applying perks to NPCs, how difficult would it be to make every NPC heal like they had a Monocyte Breeder? Preferably in a way that's compatible with this mod.

It would depend on how the author did it. If it's a script based actor effect adding it to a npc should be pretty straight forward, as would adding a object script to a npc. But adding it to all NPCs could be problematic not just creating the script (to add the actor effect) with refid's of every NPC in the game, but also because there are different levels of activity for NPCs depending on wheather the player is in the same cell. I don't know if those scripts are processed in cells the player isn't active in, not to mention how much cpu overhead to have these running on a huge number of refs.

Why not just give NPCs the Vanilla Regen ability? No object scripts necessary.

It'll heal more Health per second than Monocyte, but with how brief npcs are realistically interacted with in Gamemode, the gameplay difference wouldn't be especially major. (The challenge would be greater, if that's the goal.)

Edited by Radioactivelad

Why not just give NPCs the Vanilla Regen ability? No object scripts necessary.

It'll heal more Health per second than Monocyte, but with how brief npcs are realistically interacted with in Gamemode, the gameplay difference wouldn't be especially major. (The challenge would be greater, if that's the goal.)

As listed in my quote above, it's not an issue creating teh regenerative effect. I can add that with a script, a script based efffect, a attribute based actor effect etc. That's not the problem. The issue is SignedName is looking to affect a lot of NPC in many different cells and the game engine only loads a fraction into memory. You can increase that by editing your ini, but even with the 4GB patch your not going to be able to load all or even most of the outside cells into memory.

• 4 weeks later...