How do you discover item IDs using the console?

darkdill

Before you tell me to check a wiki, I am trying to do this for mod-added items. As such, no info on the wiki's.

In Skyrim, you could just type "help [subject]" to find out ID codes on whatever you wanted to know, but it doesn't seem to work that way in F:NV. Is there some different console command to let me do that, or am I stuck having to search manually?

GECK/FNVEdit or if you have the object already, and are using NVSE, drop it on the ground, open the console, click the item, and type gbo in the console to get the base object.

So... if you don't have the object in-game, you basically can't?

Another way that I do this is by highlighting the mod in FOMM, right click and select TESnip. This will pop open a small window with the mod contents and you can drill through the list until you find the item you are looking for. Needless to say, this work better on small mods than on really large ones. Edited by whodat1

Searching forms by name in the console is a new feature in Skyrim. You won't find it in previous games.

If you want to know the FormID of something that isn't in your possession or field of view, you'll have to look it up outside the game using the GECK, FNVEdit, or a similar tool.

FormIDs for all vanilla items can also be searched for on the wiki.

Before you tell me to check a wiki, I am trying to do this for mod-added items. As such, no info on the wiki's.

In Skyrim, you could just type "help [subject]" to find out ID codes on whatever you wanted to know, but it doesn't seem to work that way in F:NV. Is there some different console command to let me do that, or am I stuck having to search manually?

Open the console, click the item then type in gbo then hit enter and it'll give you the proper ID for mod items. I've found that is the best way to get IDs while playing FNV

Make sure you have NVSE installed :-)

• 6 years later...

FYI "help" doesnt' work for finding items in FNV. It reminds me of the old msdos days. Type in search then object name ex. search starlet and it will give you all the items, characters etc. with that name. If it contains two word like sexy sleepwear type in search "sexy sleepwear" and it will list them all.

Also recommend NVSE Extender v16, you don't have to go from controller to mouse, also shows quest location markers, etc.

• 9 months later...