Supported Games and Game Detection Seems Broken

mawcs

@mawcs. Well, this is strange. Two weeks ago I installed Vortex 0.16.15 on a second gaming computer, and it reports 37 supported games, 1 discovered game, and 4 managed games. No problems there. Furthermore, I have an active Feedback link (in fact, I submitted a feedback report yesterday). I have the same setup on my primary gaming computer, and all is well. Finally, I've used Vortex since v. 0.13.3, and I've never had problems with the game discovery feature. I do remember, however, having a problem with the Feedback link in one of the versions, but I don't remember which one.

As we look at your situation and then at mine, what are we to conclude? That there is a discovery bug with the latest build of Vortex? Maybe so. But if that's the case, why does the defect show up on some computers and not on others?

I just had to reinstall Windows. I'm finally at a point where I'm installing games and feeling like I want to mod my games. I just installed Vortex 0.16.15 and I set up my game search paths. On the "Games" tab, the "supported" games list games 9 games. Two of them I own (Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and No Man's Sky). The remaining 7 I do not own.

My "Discovered" tab has two games, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and No Man's Sky. The rest of my games are not "discovered" and there's no way to add the games from the "supported" tab because it only has 9 games.

I saw this topic, but it doesn't look like anything was resolved.

Do I need to switch to an older build?

This was first brought up in this topic here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7059971-so-this-doesnt-support-skyrim-or-fallout-4/?hl=%2Bjunction&do=findComment&comment=64364961

It might be down to your configuration and, unfortunately, outside of our control. To quote Tannin:

You have moved Vortex itself and have placed a junction point to c:\program files, right?
I'm going to investigate again, but iirc we had this once in the alpha and it was a problem with the backend, not something we caused or could fix in vortex itself.
EDIT: Yeah, afraid this is outside our control :sad:
It appears to be a combination of electron and webpack, neither of which we can replace without a massive amount of work so for the time being the Vortex application itself (the part in c:\program files) can't be a junction point.