Likes and Dislikes

Adipose

First off, I like Vortex as much as I did NMM. In some ways it's better, in others, not so good. Mostly my likes and dislikes involve ease of use, though there are a couple of seeming glitches that I just don't comprehend. Frex, on occasion Vortex is unable to assign a category to a mod, or, simply assigns a category which is wildly inaccurate. Now I understand how to rectify that error, but I'm curious as to how that error occurs in the first place. It would probably help if I watched or read the tutorial material all the way through a couple of times. Unfortunately I'm short on patience when it comes to that kind of activity. I much prefer to learn on the job...so to speak. Adipose

When Vortex installs a mod from Nexus Mods it gets the category as an ID, something like 42. By default Vortex will download the category list which will contain something like "42 = Armor" and then will determine that the mod is Armor.

The category list can be edited by the user, a german user might go and rename the category so that it becomes "42 = Rüstung" and so Vortex will display the mod as category "Rüstung".

However, if you change the category list to something completely different so that the list becomes "42 = Visual Tweaks" then Vortex will show the mod as that, which is obviously wrong. That's why you should create custom categories as new categories which will get new ids (1000+ I think) instead of reusing existing ones.

That is one common reason why you get inaccurate categories, if that's not your problem you need to provide a more concrete example.

• 3 weeks later...