Strange high level Thief random encounter near Riverwood with Guild Ma

porlino87

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah same! I started a new game and he attacked me when I was travelling to Riverwood from Helgen,

What mods did you have active when this happened? I think the "Winterhold Ruins" mod was the culprit strangely

I hate to perform thread necromancy, but this is on topic...

Not "Winterhold Ruins", as I don't even have that mod installed.

I'm suspecting if it _is_ a mod, it is Castle Grey. Because, that's about the only mod I have loaded that affects the game world itself, the rest are just UI, textures, etc. I could be wrong... But, Castle Grey has some known conflicts with the Thieve's Guild quest, and I wonder if this is related.

EDIT: Just found another thread that blames several different mods: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/689704-brynjolf-tries-to-kill-me-when-i-go-to-join-the-thieves-guild/ for this exact same problem.

Looks like it's not down to the mod level, but a higher level bug... I wonder what causes it?

EDIT 2: More searching shows a pattern... of confusion about this bug. Another thread here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/781998-improved-skyforge/ blames a completely different mod for the same symptoms. In fact, I had one of the same bugs listed there regarding the Marauder at the tower near Bleak Falls Barrow, who could one-hit kill me on the easiest setting.

At this point, I'm REALLY intrigued and bugged by this bug. I probably should have created a new thread, but.... this bug's been around a while and talked up in numerous places and every time a different mod gets blamed. Strange?

Edited by lotherius

This is caused by the mod 7K Whiterun. The mod is dirty as all get out. It adds that thief there and marauder at the bleak falls barrow, It also breaks the thieves guild and mages college quest lines as well as causes CTD at about 20 locations, adds about 5 other NPC'S it should not it is bugged all to hell and mod author abandoned. I think he might of even did all this on purpose as he was arguing with posters in his thread threw up the last release then never returned to the mod. Several other mod authors then were editing there own mods int e CK and would inadvertently include the bugged info packaged up with there mod it damaged many mods and many save games. Despite bieng well documented the mod is still up and there are people who are even translating it still.

This is caused by the mod 7K Whiterun. The mod is dirty as all get out. It adds that thief there and marauder at the bleak falls barrow, It also breaks the thieves guild and mages college quest lines as well as causes CTD at about 20 locations, adds about 5 other NPC'S it should not it is bugged all to hell and mod author abandoned. I think he might of even did all this on purpose as he was arguing with posters in his thread threw up the last release then never returned to the mod. Several other mod authors then were editing there own mods int e CK and would inadvertently include the bugged info packaged up with there mod it damaged many mods and many save games. Despite bieng well documented the mod is still up and there are people who are even translating it still.

Problem is, I don't have that mod installed. I've never had that mod installed.

EDIT: Oh, so are you saying that many mods are BASED on 7K Whiterun, like Castle Grey?

Maybe these mods need to be added to the "bad files/blacklist" list then.

EDIT 2: Castle Grey thread, someone said that the Unofficial Skyrim Patch seemed to be causing the problem.

All I know is, I've started four characters now, and every one I have to throw out by the time I get to around level 7 or 10 because of various mod bugs. One was because I didn't read instructions properly, the rest were all undocumented "bugs"...

EDIT 3:

I removed Castle Grey and restarted the game, the glitch with the Guild Master Armor being on a mob outside of Riverwood is gone, as is the glitch with the Marauder. Actually I noticed quite a number of small differences that I hadn't even realized were problems. As in a LOT of small differences.

However, it seems that too many mods are "at fault" for this issue. Every thread I run across blames a different Mod, and like in my case, uninstalling Castle Grey made it go away, not the Unofficial Patch as another user on that mod's thread said worked for them.

Edited by lotherius

• 3 months later...

The easiest way to bean this bug i should think would be to open Skyrim's main file and Update file in CK, then manually delete any E3 demo code, as some looking around in the CK shows that it was meant to have been taken out. Definately the easiest thing to do as any number of mods can cause this. At one point a beard replacer for the greybeards caused it :D.

I'd actually welcome the idea of having a few characters at 2-3 times player level (up to the max 100) around that would utterly kick your ass if you made a wrong move. It's so boring to just shoot everything down without difficulty. Even master level is a joke as soon as you have muffle boots and sneak leveled.

i had the same thing, and believe me it has nothing to do with any mods it's just a random encounter in the wilds or near a town , i say this because i encountered it before i even install any mods or DLCs . it's not due to a bug or a mod it's a perfectly normal phenomena :thumbsup:

when you level up killing him will be a piece of cake .

• 3 months later...

Lol I'm haveing the same problem, with none of the mods you guys mentioned, and I got it to go away once, but now its back. It also is causeing major cdt's in that area. Ill try the whiterun thing and see if that helps, but as no one has pinpointed a cause... I find myself saddened lol. The spot where the thief is is almost a garunteed ctd.

I was begining to think it was linked to skyre's encounter zones. I messed with turning that on and off. Can't tell if it worked or not, because I was messing with other stuff too lol. Bad testing of a hypothesis lol. But that was about the time I got it to go away.