Strange high level Thief random encounter near Riverwood with Guild Ma

porlino87

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same issue with the thief outside riverwood and the merauder outside bleak falls barrow. I found that unchecking Undeath.esp from this mod the "Undeath" mod worked. However, I doubt that the mod alone is the culprit, rather it happens to cause the glitch with other mods enabled as well. I haven't gone through all of mods tinkering with the checkboxes to find that out myself, so I wouldn't be able to clarify, but all I know is that unchecking Undeath from the undeath mod fixed the issue for me. No more high level thief, no more merauder outside bleak falls

• 1 month later...

i had the same problem, but shortly after installing 7k better whiterun...how do i know? I only installed that in the last hour and before he wasn't there. I'm about to ditch 7k better whiterun now as it looks like one of those over ambitious change too much mods that break everything...now i look back at it.

cheers for all the info

• 7 months later...

Has anyone found a root cause, and more importantly (I suppose), a fix for it?

I've got a boat load of mods running right now, but a lot of them were installed well into the game. I hit the Alpha Wolf on the way to Riverwood, and had those crazy Marauders on the way to Bleak Falls Barrows. So, I'm pretty sure this game is fubar, but geez, I'd love if I could fix it!

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the necromancy, but I thought that this thread was still relevant.

This bug also happens with Gobby the Goblin Follower. There are plenty of mods modding the area around Riverwood and Riverwood itself, but only a handful seem to touch on the tiny speck required for it to go completely haywire. If a kind soul could figure out exactly what, I am sure it would help both modders and players in the future. There is something these mods have in common, we just need to know what.

• 1 month later...

This is caused by the mod 7K Whiterun. The mod is dirty as all get out. It adds that thief there and marauder at the bleak falls barrow, It also breaks the thieves guild and mages college quest lines as well as causes CTD at about 20 locations, adds about 5 other NPC'S it should not it is bugged all to hell and mod author abandoned. I think he might of even did all this on purpose as he was arguing with posters in his thread threw up the last release then never returned to the mod. Several other mod authors then were editing there own mods int e CK and would inadvertently include the bugged info packaged up with there mod it damaged many mods and many save games. Despite bieng well documented the mod is still up and there are people who are even translating it still.

omg thank you so much. i just spend a month gathering all the mods i wanted for a good playthrew, will be my first time compleating the game, and the muraders destroyed 4-5 new games. i unistalled asis, pise, imersive creatures, cot, ect, ect, ect, trying to find were they came from. now i can go reinstall them and actualy play the game. i thught for sure imsersive creatures had left some files somewere and the guys were just stuck in my game. i was going to unistale and reinstalle skyrim next.

• 9 months later...
For anyone who is still having this issue

The issue comes from the 7k Whitrun - City Under Construction mod and apparently was originally intended to be a larger overhaul than it was in the final form.

The answer can be found here:

and reads:

"You can fix the broken quests and get rid of the high-level mobs by simply removing the RRBetterWhiterunInt.esp file as that is what's broken.

It minimally impacts the mod, and fixes all those issues."