[LE] Honestly, how does anyone come to understand the Skyrim script language?

Lel...

i just know many other Languages LUA CSS PHP BAT C++ C# JS Java

if you know for example C++ you know any other :x...

idk why i write LUA first... i hate this xD but LUA is used 4 example in Factiorio :P

CK Scripts are normal Scripting Language :D

LUA and Python are very similar to CK Scripts :x...

all i know is this what i can read from Skyrim CK Wiki : https://www.creationkit.com

and some stuff my friends teach me but mostly functions that are in CK and events

best way to lern is trying with already writen code by someone else :P

just open any script you have in your data folder read it and try to make your own that is doing similar things :P

thats how im doing mostly time :x

also sry 4 my bad english ^_^

Its actually not that hard. I used to write programs in BASIC on the old amstrad cpc 464 and Commodore 64. Papyrus is actually pretty similar with different keywords used. you learn a couple of keywords/functions at a time , then learn a few more and so on.

It's not that hard to learn.

The first step is to comprehend what is that you have in front of you, the second step is to learn to manipulate what you have in front of you, after this point it becomes way easier.

(Keep the following bookmarked, after some point you will really need it).

My advice is simple and this is how i learned :

A) Build a small dungeon, nothing fancy or complex, just 2 coridors with 4 rooms, don't spend too much time on it. Navmesh it. (this will be used just for TESTING).

B) Put in one room, let say an Activator (ACTIVATOR A) with it's default script, for the beggining find something not to complex, but be sure that is an activator that needs some sort of key, like a "Dwarven centurion core" (and that is not an activator from any of the DLCs, i'll explain leater why). See what it's functions are, like does it opens doors or activates other activators or enable/disable link Ref etc.... Familiarize yourself with it.

C) Experiment yourself with it's functions so you will learn what its exact funcions are, for example place doors or gates if the activator opens those Ref with it's required key, etc...

NOW FOR THE REAL IMPORTANT STUFF

D) After you have learn the activator's functions go to the Scripts tab and on the scripts right click the SCRIPT and select "edit source" (DLCs scripts need bsa extractor to find the script source).

Select all the script and "COPY IT" to a notpad, this copy you will use as a base for you experiments.

E) Now put next to the first activator a second one (YOUR ACTIVATOR) be sure that is the same kind of activator as (ACTIVATOR A), this one you will use for your "NEW SCRIPT".

F) Select and add to your room a different activator with "different SCRIPT functions" (ACTIVATOR B). Repeate steps C and D with "ACTIVATOR B".

G) Now try to add functions from "ACTIVATOR B" to the copied (notepad) script from "ACTIVATOR A".

Remove localy the default script from "YOUR ACTIVATOR" and add a New script - edit source and paste your Script from the notepad (the one you been experimenting with), it's not garanteed that it will work and it will be best that you don't succed the first time !, that's why you need the bookmarked links.

Keep researching and experimenting until your script works, at some point you'll start to understand why your script isn't compiling or working and what needs to be done to make it work.

NOW YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO COMPREHEND AND MANIPULATE THE SCRIPT YOU ARE READING, from this point on things are way more easy... just keep experimanting yourself with different things in your TEST Dungeon.

* I did this for around five days and afterwards everything was much MUCH CLEARER !.

After two weeks that i started with this method i began writing my own little scripts.

* A good tool it's "Notepad ++" it will help you to compile and see the script much clearer.

I really hope that my method can help you enter the universe of SCRIPTING...

Edited by maxarturo

Youtube has been a good resource for me -- I'm no scripting genius but I have an understanding of how it works/structured and linked. The easy scripts are easy and I can read and understand what they're doing, but once it gets complicated then I'm overwhelmed, hehe.

A tutorial (for dummies, hehe) in particular that has been helpful for me is by Arron Dominion on Youtube -- below, but there are many others that are helpful.

I personally use the CK wiki page A LOT.

Good luck!

@TobiaszPL - be honest, tell 'em the truth! :tongue:

i just was teached by 2 russian ppl who love wodka so ye xD

:D

Y they teach me about Functions and Events

but by saying just

" Events you can use are for example

OnActivate

OnHit

OnTriggerEnter

and you press in Gameplay then Papyris script then new and you can open it in N++ so u can write"

b4 CK i have already know for example Java and C++ "

i know how to write variables in CK

i know what Functions CK have

i know what Events CK have

i know how to create my own Script

thanks to them

but they dont teach me how to programming :tongue:

if you have too much time you can open this spoiler and read :)

like i said they teach me wich function use to get results and how to look for help

and as u know they... ugh hard english T_T

for example they were saying "use SetValue to set Global value in CK" or "if you need value in Global you can use GetValue" :tongue:

for example you told me to use Mod instead of SetValue and GetValue

im not sure why but idc im just using it cause you or sm1 else told me this is better lel xD

for example and like i said b4 in topic that u copy here

i have no idea how to make Arrays... in any language i can do it for example C++

int Array[5] = { 1,2,3,4,5 };

or

int* Array;

Array = new int [ 5 ];

i know how to use Arrays but i dont know how to make them in CK :tongue:

so all i need to lern i just good example or few words :tongue:

also structures and classes would be awesome in CK but they wont tell me how to make them so i still dont know how to do it :tongue:

but what classes and structures are i know xD lel

sry 4 my epic english :C

also they already left Modding skyrim so i came here xD

//Edit:

remember my English is potato so i may make few misstakes xD

//Edit2:

Ghandaur

Make it possible to write in Java JS C# or C++ in CK so i can write without asking anything :tongue:

//Edit3:

im gonna teach you like they teach me :tongue:

if you want to add script double click on object and find Script Window then press "add" and select your script

if you want to make new script click on Gameplay then Papyrus and then press right and select new

you dont need any compiler its already in CK so once you done writing your script you can press right again and then "Compile"

if you want to start Script you have to write property Event in your file

you dont have to care about anything else just use OnActivate mostly times and if you need something else just ask

CK will do somehow everything

Here you have Events:

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Events

if you need any help just ask !

- that was how i lern scripting in CK :smile:

and when i need i was just asking

" what even i use if i want to start Script when actor die"

" use OnDeath "

---

" how can i get global variable value in my script "

" use SetValue and GetValue "

if you want you can just ask :tongue:

but programming is not this same as Syntax :smile:

Programming -> You know how to make programs

Syntax -> You know functions etc. in language

for example if you already know how to programming in C++ all you have to lern is for example JavaScript Syntax :D

in C++ functions you can do like this:

<Function Type> <Function Name> <Functions Args.>

Void MyFunction(int MyInt){ }

in JavaScript functions you can do like this: ( sry if i make misstake for last 3 years i was using only C and CK :tongue: )

function <Function Name> <Function Args.>

function MyFunction(var MyVar){ } ;

to be clear im in work and i can't be on Nexus xD they gonna fire me T_T

Edited by TobiaszPL

If you already know a programming language, then picking up papryus is simple. It is basically a stripped down version of C++. The best way to learn for a complete beginner is to look at the vanilla scripts and get an idea of the syntax. You can't code, if you don't know the syntax.

Edited by Rasikko

It's basically Papyrus "Papyrus can be a daunting system, especially for those who are unfamiliar with other scripting or programming languages."

I myself know over 20 languages and will say Papyrus is by far one of the hardest to work with. But as for learning it that's just like any other language.

Just keep coding ... it will start to become easier and easier. Just like any other language you need to avoid getting "punch drunk" take in what you can

for the day and just keep pushing. It will come in time.

As far as Skyrim I wouldn't even consider what you do in Skyrim as programming. It's more like scripting or patch coding.

The biggest key I've found is grasping how Papyrus represents game stuff and how they're hooked together in a tree.

Copy & pasting snippets will let you make the game do stuff, maybe even the stuff you want it to, but it's a slow path to understanding why what happens, happens. That's helped a lot by prior programming experience.