Dollar signs in MCM

crbn8ed

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm gonna piggyback on top of this to say that I'm currently going through a similar. Running a clean install of FO4, verified game cache, Fallout4Custom.ini set up for loose files, installed manually, F4SE up to date and running, attempted using both MO2 and NMM, and also installed the strings linked above. I've been running it with every combination of mods turned on and off, but even with everything off except the MCM it still won't properly display.

So far no dice. The configuration menu is still displaying with the dollar signs, though it does seem to be at least somewhat functional and I can see mods listed in it.

Anybody have any suggestions of potential solutions I haven't tried yet?

ive got the same issue right now. have u figured out a fix for it?

• 2 months later...

OK let me see if I cannot make this a really long story… I had the exact same issue and it drove me nuts for probably a month… Finally it hit me search to see if there’s another copy somewhere on your computer of the fallout4prefs.ini & fallout4Custom.ini I found that I had ones that I didn’t even know about....one of them was in the MO2 folder… I just duplicated what was in my games folder from my C: I hope this helps if you need a more detailed explanation just comment and I’ll try to stay up and tell you what you need… Somebody way smarter than me is going to have to tell you whether or not you can delete the other ones or you have to do what I did and just duplicate what’s in your my games folder...Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

OK let me see if I cannot make this a really long story… I had the exact same issue and it drove me nuts for probably a month… Finally it hit me search to see if there’s another copy somewhere on your computer of the fallout4prefs.ini & fallout4Custom.ini I found that I had ones that I didn’t even know about....one of them was in the MO2 folder… I just duplicated what was in my games folder from my C: I hope this helps if you need a more detailed explanation just comment and I’ll try to stay up and tell you what you need… Somebody way smarter than me is going to have to tell you whether or not you can delete the other ones or you have to do what I did and just duplicate what’s in your my games folder...Hope this helps

Checked my MO2 folder and didn't see any duplicates...could you tell me where to place the copies exactly? This is driving me nuts and the other solutions didn't help... I'm also running a fresh install as I've never played this before.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, I've modded Fallout4 extensively in the past, and after a hiatus, I returned to experience this same issue.

Modding Fallout4 requires that the FalloutCustom.ini file in the USER\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 folder be edited to include the following script.

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
The reason MCM is giving the variable names for menu items (The dollar sign) Instead of the proper menu names is that it cannot access loose files without making the above edit.
However, in this newer version of MO2 you must edit the Fallout4Custom.ini file in the appropriate MO2 profile folder.

It can be found here C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Fallout 4\profiles\Default

Edited by Stiggandr