The Most Disgusting NPC to you

usmclee1

Preston.

I recently stopped rescuing him andthe settlers from Quincy, and it's like a breath of fresh air.

No canned lines, no minutemen.

Just peace and quiet.

I'm sacrificing some initial XP, it's worth it to not be bothered by Preston and his circus crew every time I step foot in sanctuary.

Edited by DeadMachineStds

I don't know if it is by everyone like that, but by me the repeating quests stop mostly around level 25-30.

After that I only get new minutemen quests from the radio, or the settlers directly. I like to "use" the minutemen quests as a early way to get more xp for things I would anyways do (like killing raiders) and activating the settlements across the map, besides I like also the minutemen :smile:.

At some points, their story could be written a bit better, but that is nothing special. Imo, we can say the same also about every other faction.

Edited by taryl80

Well, you can also tell you "No, I'm not your saviour" after doing the Tenpints Bluff mission, which will make him put a cork in it. Still, just not dealing with Marcy either... it soo makes it worth leaving them to rot in the museum.

That said, that would be another nomination from me for the disgustingly and aggressively stupid NPC of the year: Marcy Long.

Look, I get that she lost her home and her son, bla, bla, bla. But

A) I'm not to blame for that in any way, and

B) while she saw her son killed like a week ago, I saw my husband shot and my baby taken like an hour ago, as far as my character's internal clock goes. My character had even less time to get past their grief.

So WTH is solved by taking it out on me? Doubly so when she'll actually actively follow me around the flippin' settlement to tell me she doesn't have the time to talk to me (so flippin' stop talking to me, then), and otherwise abuse me. How's actively abusing another victim solving anything?

Seriously, WTH?

And yeah, I know she and Jun are supposed to become non-essential after a while, but, dunno, for me it never happened. Might be some obsolete mod I'm having or something. I dunno.

I end up either giving her a bedroll under the bridge -- because quoth Valentine, I thought trolls live under bridges -- and a workplace as far as possible from my workstations, or do the Evil Queen thing and send her out with the royal huntsman. Well, I mean, mark her for delete so she disappears when I'm away. But I like to think she got taken on a nice trip to the woods by the royal huntsman :tongue:

If you like, you can roleplay the suffering sole survivor and just doing nothing and be a-hole to everyone out there in the wastes :).

It just would not make the same amount of "fun" as playing the game.

I also dislike Marcy, but I also don't know how I would act if something like that would happen to me in real life. She and her husband get from me always the order to make food for the settlement. So they have to do, can spend time together for maybe psychical healing I guess and they are out of my way. Aka. thats a win-win-win situation for me^^.

As guard or vendor I would not like to have her. Then I would see her always and in case of a vendor - sometimes speak with her :|.

Edited by taryl80

Every, single, "person" in the socalled wasteland are disgustingly needy and utterly useless, from the Caravan of Clowns in Concord through the annoying harpie (Piper or is that griper) all the way to the bottomfeeders in the great green cesspool and the Institute of smackworthy C*nts.. even the BoS are useless and as fit for their role as Madonna is for acting... none of them have any idea of how to use soap, a broom or even a hammer, they just waddle around like squeeling piggies demanding you do everything for them and then..treat you with disdain, Yesterday I started a playthrough where i, for once in a million years, decided to actually BE the Minuteman the game wants you to be.. five hours in I went on a murderous rampage, nuking Sanctuary, shooting up Diamond City and burning down Goodneighbour.. why? because none of those cretins deserve to live, be they ghouls, synths or remotely human.. they just sit in thier own refuse and complain.. I´ve had it.. they can all go suck an egg! thank the Lord for Thuggysmurf and Co. for providing mods that make the game, somewhat playable... without their mods the game would have left my Computer, left the building and would be forgotten like a crazy ex-Wife.. needy, annoying, greedy and utterly useless...

If you like, you can roleplay the suffering sole survivor and just doing nothing and be a-hole to everyone out there in the wastes :smile:.

It just would not make the same amount of "fun" as playing the game.

I also dislike Marcy, but I also don't know how I would act if something like that would happen to me in real life. She and her husband get from me always the order to make food for the settlement.

Dude. Like, dude. Just giving her an out of the way job is not enough.

On my first two or three playthroughs for example I made the mistake of building beds in the building where the crafting stations are. Turns out that if I came back there in the morning or evening, and spent any amount of time pondering which new barrel I want to put on what gun, she'd have to pass by me to get in or out.

Except she flippin' wouldn't. She'd stop in the door and keep abusing me for half an hour straight.

And if it wasn't her, it was that cretin Sturges. He'd stop there and go in a loop:

"Hey."

"I'm busy"

"Can it wait?"

"I'm busy."

"What's up?"

"Can it wait?"

Well, fer fork's sake, so go get busy then and leave me alone.

This would also be worse if I didn't or can't build them a pub. Because then all evening they literally have nothing to do except hang around on that porch. Gods have mercy if you're trying to do something there.

Well, I also build the beds always in the 3-4 houses, at the end of the settlement (west and east end). So my settlers are mostly far away from the settlement center, to their sleeping time.

Also I make in sanctuary always a "partie" house, with a bar in it and all other entertaining things that is located directly near marcys sleep house and there tend my settlers to stay until they go to their beds.

The craftman stations I build usually on the other side from the settlement as marcys and the partie house. So there is mostly no one in there, besides some times Preston (I tend to let companions go to settlements where I have either found them, or where I think it would be fitting for them after I had them a while as companions).

I mostly see marcy and her husband only when the settlement gets attacked and that only in my early levels, because later on, I have there a defence that rips the attacking raiders and so on appart. So... the settlers have then no reason to move much around because of a attack, thanks to rocket turrets and heavy laser turrets on the right spots.

Edit: But if you really like to get annoyed... Some Skyrim followers would actually like to meet you :smile:. After a feeled thousand times "I am direct behind you", I was frustrated enough to set some volume controls down, so that I was not able anymore to listen to them.

Still, they carry my burdens as Lydia would say and some of them... I need to admit... Looking nice, so I still walking also there always with one around.

Edited by taryl80

Well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. There is nothing in the game to tell new players "don't build beds in THIS house, and be sure to remove all chairs in it too, or you'll regret it." Nor, "build a pub NOW so Marcy will have some other passtime than abusing you." :tongue:

And, sad to say, in spite of being Wolfgang's best customer, I never got visions of the future like Mama Murphy, so I had to get thoroughly abused by that idiot before discovering how to somewhat mitigate it :tongue:

Well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. There is nothing in the game to tell new players "don't build beds in THIS house, and be sure to remove all chairs in it too, or you'll regret it." Nor, "build a pub NOW so Marcy will have some other passtime than abusing you." :tongue:

And, sad to say, in spite of being Wolfgang's best customer, I never got visions of the future like Mama Murphy, so I had to get thoroughly abused by that idiot before discovering how to somewhat mitigate it :tongue:

Oh, boy, if that was terrible for you, you hopefully never meet the card scammer near that flying ship, or the Nuka World Raiders, or the Legion in NV :tongue: :smile:.

I mean, just because I raided some camps of them, they sending always a freaking high level killer troop after my poor, poor courier that has its most points in non combat stuff, like barter, science, medicine and so on :|.

Luckily I run mostly in New Vegas around with 2 followers. They have already safe my a** countless times. Either by killing them, or giving me enough time so that I could run away :D .

Edited by taryl80

Ehh, Legion were ok. Fun fact: if you kill them from stealth with a silenced weapon, you don't lose Legion reputation. Not even if someone else sees you do it. I had killed more legionnaires than the Antonine Plague, and they gave me the key to their safehouse :tongue:

That's stealth builds for you.

But even without that, people attacking me I can deal with. If I get to them before my companions do, that is. Someone marked as essential that just follows me around to abuse me is a whole different level of annoyance.