Why would a custom perk crash the game?

gman517

Hi again guys so I'm having a new problem

I'm trying to set up a perk with no character additions but allows a script to run because player HasPerk

Said perk will also allow a bunch of stuff to be created without schematics at the workbench.

For those who have seen my previous topics. You would know that this is from a new game. no saving is done until I am 100% sure it is working correctly so I always have a clean save.

Multiple problems.

1. I simply cannot get player.AddPerk to work on any perks whatsoever. So am unable to give myself my perk for testing.

2. I rewardxp to level up. But as soon as the mouse touches (More like as soon as it's over) the name of my perk. Game crashes.

I have already compared my perk to a working perk and cannot figure out why its not working. Here is the script for it if anyone thinks that might be the cause.

Hope you guys can help with this.

scn MetalworkerAutocraftingSCR

short BentTinConv
short countBentTin

Begin GameMode
  if player.HasPerk MetalWorker == 1
    ;convert bent tin can to scrap metal
    ;TinCan01 = Tin Can
    ;TinCan02 = Bent Tin Can
    if player.GetItemCount TinCan02 >3 
      ;How many bent tin cans does player have
      set countBentTin to player.GetItemCount TinCan02
      ;How much scrap metal can be created?
      set BentTinConv to countBentTin / 3
      ;How many bent tin cans can be removed to make the scrap metal?
      set countBentTin to BentTinConv * 3
      ;Remove ONLY the number of bent tin cans required from updated countBentTin
      player.RemoveItem TinCan02 countBentTin
      ;Make the Scrap Metal
      player.AddItem SpareParts BentTinConv
      ;Update Scrap metal achievement
      set countSpareParts to countSpareParts + BentTinConv
    endif
  endif 
End
Edited by gman517

Hmmm .... lets see ...

First , if you are trying to add perks during the intro (inside vault 101) you may not be able to do that even after the G.O.A.T.

You don't need to restart the game completely , you can start from the special save that gets created just before leaving the vault (where you can change your stats) but do your testing after leaving the vault , and wait for all the updates of quests. Plus I think you get a level up right about there ... which then you could pick your perk if it is flagged playable.

But honestly I would just wait for things to settle and level up after leaving vault.

Then make a new save that you then use to test your modding tweaks. But toggle that archive invalidation for sure each time you change something in geck.

And I hate to say it ... but you may need to start fresh on your mod file. Hope you hadn't put to much work into it.

A good thing to do when you're testing out a new feature for your mod. Is to make a new .esp just for that tweak session till you get it right , then put it into the file you want to keep.

Albeit Fo3 edit is good for erasing stuff that didn't work out , as long as you are clear on what needs to go. And then there is always the .bak files that the geck creates.

But I suggest making your own back ups at certain points when you know something is working before you move on to another aspect.

So on your perk and this script. What type of perk is it ... guessing either quest or ability ?

So as to attach a script.

But I'm thinking you may just want to use an Entrypoint / Activate : Perk ...

So when you walk up to a work bench , you get a second choice ... which would be to create spare parts from tin cans. And you put a script fragment there to check your inventory ... or if need it more complicated. Have it open a message with buttons.

So on your perk and this script. What type of perk is it ... guessing either quest or ability ?

So as to attach a script.

But I'm thinking you may just want to use an Entrypoint / Activate : Perk ...

So when you walk up to a work bench , you get a second choice ... which would be to create spare parts from tin cans. And you put a script fragment there to check your inventory ... or if need it more complicated. Have it open a message with buttons.

To answer your question.

My perk is neither a quest or ability but something that really is just a toggle to allow certain scripts to run and items to be created. Maybe I should make a quest instead that gives the player a note I can check for in my script...

Hence no character additions or tweaks.

I have considered having a static script attached to the item I want it to run with. (Which I do right now. This converts 3 bent tin cans to 1 scrap metal. Was hoping I could get this to work with a HasPerk check only. So I've got it running anyways until I can sort this mess out.

But... I wasn't planning on spreading out all the schematics across the map or have them all purchasable. I only really want most of them to be available in the Workbench after the perk is selected. (LIke Anchorage's Warmonger)

On that note. NONE of the items are available until they get to Either Craterside supply or Rivet City Market so a brand new save at this point won't achieve anything.

My current save is literally as I've left the vault and leveled up already as my perk requires Gun Nut to be selectable.

None of my mod items are in this save as of yet.

Shall I maybe upload my esp file so someone can take a look? I haven't bothered scripting the Workbench schematics yet as the perk does not yet work.

Edit: I have unticked playable to prevent crashing from my other save until I figure out what's happening.

I'll Try Scrapping the perk entirely from my esp since I know what needs to be removed and try make it again (from scratch using your separate esp idea).

I'll post back here with my results. Also is there a way to copy over something from another esp to my current one? Or do I need to manually add it in?

Edit2: Only place I am stumped is how to even trigger such a quest given that I want it rewarded as a perk. I realize that a global var is much easier than an item to check for. Back to the drawing board i suppose...

Edited by gman517

Aww Shucks.

my esp is a goner. Good thing I haven't put much work into it. Right now just a selection of custom weapons and grenades.

@Mktavish:

I tried your separate esp idea with my perk and could select it no problems. So looks like I'm back to square one.

Regarding causing problems with my esp. Is it better to close GECK entirely during testing or will this have the same effect regardless?

In other words. What's the best way to test out my esp? Or just make sure i don't save during testing.

Also FOMM doesn't play nicely with my esp. Im currently using Archive Invalidation, Invalidated! instead.

Cant see ArchiveInvalidation.txt anywhere. any thoughts on making one or another good way to toggle?

When mod managers crash on toggling invalidation is that another good way to tell if the esp is a goner?

Edited by gman517

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried NMM "Nexus Mod Manager" ?

Or is that not available any more with the release of "Vortex"

But not really sure why FoMM wouldn't work for you.

Anyways on the stand alone version that sits in your Data folder ... I seem to remember you just hover the mouse over it and right click to get options ... Isn't it an executable ?

Add edit : On second thought the stand alone version may not work for the kind of bugs I'm trying to tell you it clears up. Specifically , when I am adjusting Packages for npc's ... it fixes them so they restart from their initial set up. And other oddities I have noticed.

But anyways ... it looks like NMM is still available on the Nexus.

So give that one a whirl ... even though it says Beta , it works great imo .

You might want to un install FoMM though first... or atleast detatch it from Fo3. I myself use NMM for Fo3 and FoMM for FNV ... that way I don't have to adjust the directory for it when I switch. And I'm sure there could be problems that I'm not aware of or savy enough to know ... when using a mod manager for more than 1 program.

Hmmm ... are you by chance using FoMM for both Fo3 and FNV ? If so that could be the issue your having ???

Add edit : Oh ya .... about leaving the Geck open when launching the game. In principal I don't think there is any problems with it ... except performance , which may not be a problem at all for newer comps these days. But in practice ... I pretty much always close the Geck , then launch the game. It just seems more tidy that way ^shrug^ But there are occasions (especially the deletion of something) that needs the Geck to close out before the change will happen. But when adding things , then saving ... I don't think would cause problems to leave the geck open for a quick in game test.