We're hiring: .NET/C# Developer

Dark0ne

@Margle

Except in my country when they say "3 years experience" that actually means everyone who doesn't have 3 well documented work years is immediately removed from the list of candidates.

So yeah, make like banana and don't speak of that which you know nothing about.

@GixTheMage - it is possible to get a job without meeting the "x number of years" requirement. i've done it before. i was hired with 0 years industry experience, just based off of what i showed in my portfolio (most of which was mods i uploaded here in the nexus, btw). so if i were you, i would not think so negatively and just build up a portfolio of your best examples. no one in their right mind will automatically throw away your application if the quality of your work meets their expectations. Edited by AmethystDeceiver

This is probably not the right place for debating how to get a job, but still, here's my 2 cents:

I've been recruiting IT people for many years (been a IT manager and such for 10 years) and I've been holding some 200 interviews. In my not-so-humble opinion, paper merits are one thing, but personality and attitude counts for a lot more than you might think. For instance, there are several posts in this thread that would make me disqualify the posters from any job I have to offer, regardless fo formal qualifications. I won't be pointing any fingers, but in general, you might consider using a more polite and respectful language.

What I see, is that many people who wouldn't dream of being impolite IRL, are using a very arrogant and aggressive attitude on the net. Believe me, if you keep that up, it will color your IRL behaviour too.

Basically, my point is, if you really want a job, be a little more careful with how you express yourself.

(Oh, and someone thought we should include the country when posting: I work in Sweden, for a multinational IT company.)

Except in my country when they say "3 years experience" that actually means everyone who doesn't have 3 well documented work years is immediately removed from the list of candidates.

Many people in my country would say the same thing and it is definitely true in some companies, especially some of the larger ones with rigid recruitment procedures.

But it's far to be true in every company. If you can exhibit a good portfolio (especially the kind of portfolio you have if you knew how to program at the time you joined college and used those years to polish those skills and build softwares instead), it may very well turn things in your favor.

Think about it. What does "one year experience needed" mean? "You can achieve the regular tasks you're assigned to without being cared of". A portfolio is actually a solid way to demonstrate this capacity.

Now what does "three years of experience" mean? "You matured enough to be able to properly handle a reasonable project alone, from design to implementation." Again, this is something a portfolio can demonstrate.

Finally, if your portfolio allows the recruiter to look at your code and be pleased by what he sees, then you just lifted a great deal of the information asymmetry that penalizes any candidate and gave yourself a quite substantial bonus.

WTF!! I will need at least another life to play XCOM if you mod it. The first one was thrilling, and the Apocalypse, also quite good. The second one was quite similar to the first, underwater. The rest of them have such an ill reputation that I did not resolve to play them. Let's see if by my retirement time...

I have been programming in .NET and C# for the past 4 - 5 years.

My only question is: Are you paying for this job? I don't have time to program for free and I'm already working in a part-time job as a programmer.

If you do pay for this, please send me a Private Message and I would love to know more details.

• 5 years later...