Any way to modify a .dll file for the newer f4se version?

lavarob

Just trying to figure out stuff for future where I might be able to make mods for these games. I know literally nothing about .dll files - once I tried to open one the content was not something I could make sense out of. Does someone know what to do in order to open/edit one in a way that I could predict a working end result?

Edited by lavarob

There is no simple answer to this. It is entirely dependent on the DLL itself and which changes were made to both the game engine and the script extender.

Last update was "easy" as "nothing important" in the game was changed. But that is definitively not the norm.

Hey Lavarob - I've done just a tad bit of research into this, as at one point in time, I'd thought it would be cool to see if I could alphabetize the way that stuff shows up in looksmenu.

You'll need a tool capable of decompiling the file. I used a search in yahoo for how to edit dll files and that turned up some leads. I never got any further than that, however. :D

If I would have the source code what would I need to do with it? (and yeah the update I'm talking about is the most recent one)

[edit] actually, depending on what all was changed, it could be something as simple as changing a version number. Or it could be a lot more. It depends on what was changed to make the mod compatible with the game change. [/edit]

Hey Lavarob - I've done just a tad bit of research into this, as at one point in time, I'd thought it would be cool to see if I could alphabetize the way that stuff shows up in looksmenu.

You'll need a tool capable of decompiling the file. I used a search in yahoo for how to edit dll files and that turned up some leads. I never got any further than that, however.

you're talking about program files here. see what I emphasized in my first post :wink:

Edited by StormWolf01