Final Fantasy 11

valdir

You guys have almost convinced me. The only thing I'm irked by is the technical niggles. I've heard stories, read comics and know peope that have experienced the 3 hour install times.

Also, I think it's increbly expensive for a video game. $14 a month + the $50 to purchase the game. I mean, I just can't stand throwing down $50 for a game, much less a monthly fee THAT big (UO's is like, what $10?).

I do love mogs and chocobos, though.

-val

Don't forget community events like at Christmas,they placed 5 or 6 Giant Christmas tree Ents around the world for players to kill in a certain amount of time to get a server wide gift. There was litteraly hundreds of players attacking one ent. Great fun to see a mass of players attacking it. Mages in the back rows healing and cursing like craxy,and swarms of Fighting people up front. Great fun.

Its is a really long install time but its not that big of a deal if you have cable or dsl...i mean who would really be playing an mmorpg if they don't have at least dsl :P. As for community events theres a ton. They had christmas trees during the christmas season, and also a bunch of japanese holidays where moogles around towns were passing out these fireworks that you could run around and set off. They also have a bunch of special event quests that change constantly it seems, I'm constantly seeing new NPCs somewhere with a new quest to start at least monthly. The new balista events are awesome also requiring huge groups of two different factions and battling each other. If you win you usually get money or gear and other random stuff. Theres also BCNM (burning circle notorious monsters) where different linkshells form battle parties to take out huge creatures that drop nice armor and what not. It seems like they took the good points of previous mmo's and made them better, and took the bad parts of other mmo's and fixed it.

as for price its not 14 but 12 a month if you choose not to play the other little card mmorpg that comes with it, which is 2 extra dollars / month.

Yeah, money wise it's $12.95 per month, and the first month is free (so you can try before you start the monthly payments), you only pay 90c extra per new character you make (and you can easily get by with one, as was stated earlier.) Believe me, it's well worth the extra.

As for install times, yes it takes about 30 mins to an hour to install I think, but it's the patching process you really have to worry about. Roughly 3 hours on DSL, trust me you do NOT want to do this on dial-up :P

But it's all well worth it. ;)

No cr@ppy chainmail painted onto the walls,

*cough* Morrowind! *cough*

so, in a way, its like UO crossed with Runescape with graphics that are apparently "good"....then again, wait till Everquest 2 comes out, looks similar to doom 3 (stencil shadows and all) and has incredible amounts of bump mapping then we ask the question "who the hell would be able to run it at a nice 40fps with 1000+ people on a server".

the explains the decent graphics, not everyone has T1 (i know someone who has, his 300gig pr0n collection is astounding, if not, questionable, why so much?).

if we took off the P2P (pay to play) crap, even i would consider playing it, as the concept sounds alright, just dont compare it to doom3, or some bones will break (my life revolved around the alpha till the beta with the e3 levels leaked out)

Archived