[LE] Is it possible to track if the player just used a specific soul gem?

JustChill

@SurfsideNaturals

Hey, thank you.

I figured that event already, but as it extends an object reference I am unsure how I can use it as I cannot attach any scripts to soul gems. :sad:

ReDragon2013 was all over this and not only answered you but gave you three different versions. I'm trying to not step on any toes here.
I didn't see any effort after the fact on your part. "Still thanks for your effort." Here is why you're wrong and what i feel you did wrong ... Are you kidding me.

RedDragon2013 changed the script I posted. Even though he found one issue there which I would encounter myself after testing, that wasn't actually about the topic.

As that magic effect script works pretty fine currently and I cannot test that counter he mentioned as I cannot get the soul gem back.

Yet I am very thankful for his recommendations. I've wrote that multiple times and I surely will enhance my script based on his code, when I finally get rid of that major issue I have right now.

Sorry if I offended you by doing exactly what you were doing ... asking you to do the work for me. Sucks, doesn't it.
And last but surly not least for the 1000th time ... This is not the SE forums.

You haven't offended me, you just made a clear statement that you are not here to HELP anyone, by posting a troll response.

Work?

Ah, yeah after checking you opted all your mods in for donations.

Well, I see this as my free time hobby, as I have a dayjob. It's not work for me and I always will share it for free without trying to get money out of it. :wink:

And what does the SE forum have to do with this? Read again. I wrote, that I have only the SE installed to compare the USP script with the vanilla one.

BUT, the mod I am writing is for Enderal. Enderal is made for Skyrim classic. So this is the correct hub for.

Because the actual Enderal hub has no modding subforum:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4698-enderal/

Which is actually perfectly understandable as it uses the same miodding tool and script language as Skyrim. Wouldn't make much sense to make another one there, especially as just a few people will have a look into it.

Also this is almost exactly what the black or dark version of Azura's Star will do anyways (just not automatically).

Almost exactly? Yeah, you juggle much with words...

I could quote myself, but I will elaborate the topic once more.

Hello,

I am writing a mod for Enderal. This is a total conversion of Skyrim.

I would like to add a reusable soul gem to this game, BUT without using the "ReusableSoulgem" keyword on the soul gem itself like Azura's Star or Black Star does.

Because that would require to actually use the "Soul Trap" effect archetype to fill it, which currently has the issue that when filled and dropped the filling is gone.

Furthermore, you can only fill creatures OR NPCs into such a gem as there is a flag for holding NPCs.

This flag then overwrites the possibility to catch creature souls.

I can work around that by using a scripted effect archetype and tell how the filling actually should work.

If I am NOT using the "Soul Trap" effect archetype but rater a "Script" effect archetype on the magic effect, then I have to work with "RemoveItem" and "AddItem" (which is my current solution and also the way a Soul Trap works in Enderal generally).

The problem here is, that I cannot use the "ReusableSoulGem" keyword to get a soul gem back, as if you use that keyword on an already filled base soul gem, your game crashes if you try to recharge your enchanted weapons.

This is actually a known problem:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7230051-custom-renewable-soul-gem-issue/

So I need to find a way to get the soul gem back into the inventory after usage, without using that keyword on the gem.

Thanks to ReDragon2013 and SurfsideNaturals for pointing things out ín a helpful manner.

Today after work, I might try out the thing I am currently thinking about.

Adding the filled soul gems as Quest Aliases with the Quest Item flag. Let's see if they also get removed after usage when they are quest items... :smile:

Even though I am not totally happy if that solution would work, it's currently the best thing I can think of.

Yet I actually doubt that it will work, as the soul gems get removed by hard-code and as it is possible to remove quest items with the RemoveItem function, I simply guess that the quest flag will be ignored in that case too. :sad:

But I surely will try it out...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why most people stop helping others here. I have been helping out others on this forum for many many years. I am a retired programmer with a few masters.
You don't get paid anything for donations. At least I don't think you do. Always thought that was part of the points system you get you can use to get others games.
If you noticed I have over 1000 posts. All my mods are open sourced. At lest the ones I've posted here. As in all the scripts are included in .psc form. I could tell right
off the bat you were the type that didn't appreciate the time a person would have to put in to help you by your responses. ReDragon2013 went the extra mile for you
and got a "thanks for your effort" for it. That kind of rubbed me wrong. You're not entitled to help here on the forums. Nothing worse than to try and help someone out
and get trolled for your "effort".

It's kind of up to the person if they want to help you out and how much. The black Azura's Star is an endless use soulgem - you just need to refill it. In my opinion
giving the player a reusable ever filled soulgem would more than take away the whole point of soulgems. But I figured out a way to do it just for the challenge.
Then I posted it. After I read what you said to Red and changed my mind. As it seemed pretty rude in my
opinion. So I stepped back and did some research
on your question and came across this post
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8123083-making-a-soul-gem-and-magical-artefact-mod/page-1 that made even more red flags pop up to me.

I also noticed a few other questions along these same line. So you ended up with a "yes it can be done" ... Again
sorry if I offended you by doing exactly

what you were doing (asking you to do the work for me). Clearly you will not be satisfied till you get the last word with a few sarcastic stabs. And I'm sorry but that is not the type

of person I'm willing to fully help. You even then went the extra mile and looked for anything you could try and use against me and came roaring back with more stabs.

So ... I'll leave you with this. Go ahead and stab away.
Take a look at: Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(Your object) along with
TrapImod.apply()

Edited by NexusComa

You don't get paid anything for donations.

I don't mind that.

I still avoid this setting as the plague.

Endorsements are good enough to know that people like what you did. :smile:

This is why most people stop helping others here. I have been helping out others on this forum for many many years. I am a retired programmer with a few masters.

You don't get paid anything for donations. At least I don't think you do. Always thought that was part of the points system you get you can use to get others games.

If you noticed I have over 1000 posts.

No, just no.

Don't tell me about your kung fu.

I just stated I have a dayjob, but I won't bring that one or my degrees into this topic as I would like to brag about.

Or even my post count. This is oldschool forum talk with which you try to ride the high horse.

Stop being so ignorant about your response. You clearly know what you posted.

Beside of that.

If it ever comes that you want to check out a really mod-friendly game engine with very good scripting functions, buy New Vegas.

I am happy to help you out with Gamebryo, as even if you are appearing very unfriendly, it still seems you enjoy modding.

That's all what counts for me. :smile:

ReDragon2013 went the extra mile for you

and got a "thanks for your effort" for it. That kind of rubbed me wrong. You're not entitled to help here on the forums. Nothing worse than to try and help someone out

and get trolled for your "effort".

I thanked him for enhancing the script I posted, but this script wasn't the thing in question.

So what else could I have wrote? It was a genuine thankyou, for something I haven't asked about.

Stop using that as an excuse for your bad attitude.

In my opinion giving the player a reusable ever filled soulgem would more than take away the whole point of soulgems

What are you talking about?

I never said that I want to give the player an ever filled soul gem.

It's funny... Only SurfsideNaturals currently got the actual topic right. XD

Even though ReDragon2013's enhancements will be used too, as that will get handy as soon as the actual scripted reusable gem works.

But ok, once more:

The script for the soul trap, should remove the empty soul gem and replace it with a filled one, when a soul got successfully captured.

That works already.

BUT, if I use the soul gem, it behaves like a regular one and gets removed, instead of getting an empty one back.

AND, if you give the filled base forms of this reusable soul gem really the keyword "ReusableSoulgem" then it will crash your game.

If a soul gem has that keyword it MUST be empty and manually filled by the actual "Soul Trap" effect archetype for being able to be used without crashing.

Yet I don't want to do that as:

1.) You must choose between a soul gem that captures NPC or creature souls.

2.) The "Soul Trap" effect archetype in Skyrim is bugged. If you trap a soul and drop that soul gem into world space, then the filling disappears (it will be an empty soul gem when you pick it up).

Therefore, I don't use the "Soul Trap" archetype, but rather the "Script" archetype and tell how the soul trapping actually should work in my script. :wink:

Hello, I've been modding Skyrim for the better part of 6 years now.

Hello, I've been modding Fallout New Vegas for 2 years now and received a good amount of training on the Gamebryo engine and their scripts by my mentor whose now retired from Nexus (guess he got sick of some people's attitude here :sad:)

I really like how mod-friendly this engine is and how you can even add or remove heavily scripted mods during an active playthrough.

I either like that you need to have some sort of startup setup in a GameMode block using GetGameLoaded or GetGameRestarted for redoing things you have previously done, as this engine doesn't save many aspects of a mod into the savegame. If so, it clears them out again.

As I said, very mod-friendly.

Anyways, I have ZERO experience with this plague called Papyrus and really dislike this "updated" scripting of the Creation Engine or Skyrim at all.

Yet I still would like to write a few things for Enderal. As that game is at least enjoyable, even if it uses that ugly construction site called Skyrim as its base.

Beside of writing a mod that dynamically re-enabled fast travel for Enderal and fixing an outstanding quest mod plus translating it to english, I really have no clue about this mod-unfriendly engine, where even testing is awful as you need to always go back to the cleanest savegame you have.

Currently working on enhancing an interior for Enderal and would like to implement a boss battle, where the boss drops a reusable soul gem.

I am looking forward to try out the quest item stuff I previously spoke about today.

I'll report back as soon as that is done. :smile:

JustChill,

On item removed is not a script you would put on a soulgem. You would put it on an NPC or a Chest.

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=OnItemRemoved_-_ObjectReference

You have this option or you could create a script that uses the Vanilla Function to fill your ( Black Star Copy ).

Edited by SurfsideNaturals

JustChill,

On item removed is not a script you would put on a soulgem. You would put it on an NPC or a Chest.

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=OnItemRemoved_-_ObjectReference

You have this option or you could create a script that uses the Vanilla Function to fill your ( Black Star Copy ).

Thank you.

That actually might work.

I shortly was unsure about, but I forgot that you are allowed to assign more than one script to an NPC.

That's actually one enhancement I like about this silly engine update.

Just can't stop yourself can you. I know you're trying to explain. Thanks for the effort.

Whatever.

Go play with your Sköröm. ^^

Addition:

Ah, the late edit.

Just can't stop yourself can you. I think the donations go to the site. I don't mind helping out the Nexus and I have no need for game points.

I rather buy other members a premium membership if I think they deserve one. :smile:

As that's a double win.

Nexus gets more money for the upkeep and maintenance costs and the user will get better bandwidth for down- and uploads.

Are you OK ... I've never seen anyone go so far as you. This is not an argument. There isn't gonging to be a winner here. I am starting to find this whole thing amusing though.
Do you act like this all the time ... I've explained I found you to be a bit toxic so removed my script. Your "lack of tact" is overwhelming. l have tried to be nice here but you're more
than annoying with your comebacks. You ask for help but don't take any suggestion without strutting around like a spoiled child disrespecting his mother. I guess I can understand
you're frustrated with your mod but there is no need to be so toxic to the people trying to help you. This is the exact reason I removed my script. I guess I should have just left the
blank response. I did find this easy to do and did it a few different way as the question seemed to keep changing or got more complicated. I didn't mean that to be rude. It was more
of an encouragement. I can see how that could have been taken the wrong way. But you keep raging back to prove your superiority in all things. You even mock the explanation
over what you just mocked. There is no pleasing you short of writing you a script. There is no need for another toxic retort or a reason to try and save face. Every time I come back

to post a few scripts you give me a new reason not to. So I'm done here with you. Maybe try to be more open to suggestions and not act so entitled. Good luck with your mod.
If you ask nicely I'm sure IsharaMeradin could help you out. She is pretty good with all things Skyrim.

This is not an argument. There isn't gonging to be a winner here.

Gonging to be a winner? ^^

I never thought about winning or losing, when I simply spoke with people on the internet. XD

I am just conversing.

Actually I think that's a pretty immature mindset to think of winning or losing against someone when you simply talk with each other.

We just exchange our stances, views and positions. Nothing more.

I took recommendations, but from people who appear not to be like ignorant pricks that try to disguise their mocking posts as some sort of "encouragement".

Obviously you take this very personal as you constantly just answer about my comments against you, instead of realizing that you would have been better of not posting anything here at all.

I am not frustrated with this mod, I am frustrated about how the Creation Engine appears to be garbage compared to Gamebryo.

Yeah sure, we have better animations, better graphics, but the scripting got a lot worse. You need to make weird workarounds as the scripting simply lacks of A LOT of functions that were present in Gamebryo.

For example, what happened with "SetQuestObject"?

Now you have to make a Quest, add a Quest Alias about the container (or actor) and the item you want to put into that specific container including the Quest Item flag and start the quest at that point when you want the item in the respective container as Quest Item.

That's totally dumb compared to that simple script function and it took me one whole f***ing day to figure that out. -.-

I seriously won't do much for this engine anymore after finalizing my Enderal playthrough.

Basically I got into modding Enderal as it has some grey faces, which can be easily fixed by generating the face meshes and textures pressing "CTRL" + "F4" on the actor in the CK. And even that can be frustrating when the actor still doesn't want to get the correct face color applied. XD

Yet even as I got warned by my mentor to stay away from the scripting in this, I still couldn't hold myself back.

And now I know why he disliked this engine on his own. ^^

But you keep raging back to prove your superiority in all things.

That shoe doesn't fit.

I am very happy about anyone who contributed properly here.

And sorry for not meeting your English gentlemen standards.

"Thank you for your effort" including a happy smiley is nothing which should be treated as something bad normally.

But when it comes to you, I am just morroring your first post here and I am continuing on this as you continue to respond. ;)

I personally think it's impolite to NOT respond to a user who directly adresses a post to you, regardless how unfriendly it appears.

So if you think we should continue on this habit, feel free to go on. :)

Anyways, I already got hints from people who are really helpful here and I might be able to tinker something together that works.

Thanks. :smile:

@SurfsideNaturals

Thanks again for pointing that out.

Initial tests work pretty well. Now I just will tinker around to find a way of checking if the player really used it.

I may still end up making a quest object of the filled versions of this gem, as then even if there is no target container they cannot be dropped into the world by the player. ^^

So even if they get removed by using them and the script thinks the player dropped them into the world the only outcome can be that they are actually gone.

On the other side, I simply might check if the reference is disabled / deleted or none. XD

This will still require some testing, but I guess this will go well.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. :smile:

Lmao

No worries, you will be credited too.

As soon as I am done, the mod credits might be looking like this.

Thanks to ReDragon2013 for helping me out enhancing the Soul Trap script.
Thanks to SurfsideNaturals for pointing me into the right direction of making a scripted reusable soul gem.
Thanks to NexusComa for being a jackass.

^^