[LE] Is it possible to track if the player just used a specific soul gem?

JustChill

Hey, I am off from work in 40 minutes and will then have to do some food shopping. Fridge is empty. ^^

But I definitely will get into it later.

If everything runs fine, I would like to try around making that Ref Alias script on my own, before I take your help again.

I love learning by doing. ;)

If I end up frustrated by Papyrus again, I will come back to you.

If not, then I still will share my final solution here. Would be a pleasure if you could take a look onto the script then.

I'll read you later and cheers. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry JustChill...

But i searched all my hard drives and i couldn't find it + i still can not remember the name of it.

Nonetheless, i don't think you need my help, ReDragon2013 & SurfsideNaturals are handling this more than fine.

My presence here is unnecessary and not required.

Have a happy modding !.

No worries, I definitely appreciate your effort and your personal message of motivational matter. :smile:

I am currently at home and started to implement SurfsideNaturals' solution, ready to start testing various occasions with that scripted, reusable soul gem...

After that I will add something to ReDragon2013's script, as I actually also would like to change how soul gems can get filled, compared to vanilla.

"Adding filled soul gems and remove the empty ones" ... you can credit me for that part. Or not ... I'll somehow get over it.

Wait, so you have wrote the script for Enderal and all the other mods that use the AddItem and RemoveItem workaround for the Soul Trap magic effect?

Like this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77170

Or this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14559/?

Or that one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65975/?

Hm, you would be the first user that gets through with 4 different accounts here. XD

No really, I don't see how you had anything to do with any solution on this topic. I will credit you in the way as I said on the previous page. :smile:

I was referring to "just give them a new soulgem after" ... and the command AddItem(). I really don't mind if you don't give me credit for a mod btw. I just give anything I do here away.
Like how my mods are set up. Just really into the whole working together as a site and game to make cool things. Reminds me of my Amiga days ... Just trying to be part of the collective.

You tend to pick apart things purposely looking for ways to be toxic. I guess this is what happens when two toxic people that hate toxic people run into each other in a thread.

I actually went a whole different direction and timed out the effects. Then scripted in a filled soulgem I copied from a generic preset off the one they used. For the auto version went off the best choice

in their backpack. But I think I went off in the wrong direction with the auto part. I wasn't clear what you were asking for at that point. Guess I didn't even think about just decompiling scripts from all them mods.

I was wondering how your variable statements ended up at the bottom of that 1st script with them god awful headers. Sorry I mentioned it. Now that I think about it please do credit me like the way you said.

At least some one got a change to do that at some point ...

Dude, that was how the whole script of Enderal's Soul Trap script worked in the first place.

That script removes empty soul gems and adds filled ones back to the player.

Using that on a scripted reusable soul gem too, was just logical and also represents my initial script.

I might rethink the crediting and simply take my chance to point you out for taking an example of the other users here.

Furthermore, you only took ReDragon2013 as your personal defense, but why not the user who currently helped me the most?

Even ReDragon2013 doesn't suit yourself as defense, becaue he delivered something helpful and I genuinely thanked him for.

Furthermore you are speaking on his / her behalf, while that person didn't actually stand up against my comments.

So actually, it was just you who were upset.

Thereofe, you only deliver a useless tale of a solution that you edited out.

Yeah, you edited your first post here, I can see the timestamp. And? I have no screenshot or other proof of you being a helpful person on this topic

So please, take it as it is.

I am currently having real support and don't need any further explanations or additions from your side.

Thank you. :smile:

Hey there @SurfsideNaturals, :laugh:

I took my try. Everything worked fine using it as script on the player.

However, it seems I still don't get how Creation Engine really works. XD

I've checked "Start Game Enabled" for the quest and attached the script directly into the Quest Alias.

I've either checked "Allow Reuse in Quest", but this whole reference thing appears to be pretty vague to me. :sad:

The player is chosen as "Specific Reference" in the Quest Alias and the ReferenceAlias "PlayerAlias" in the script directly points onto the QuestAlias with the proper entry.

Here is my current setup:

;Big thanks to  SurfsideNaturals for basically the whole script. ^^
;+=Just Chill

Scriptname _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR extends ReferenceAlias  

; EVENTS
Event OnItemRemoved(Form akBaseItem, int aiItemCount, ObjectReference akItemReference, ObjectReference akDestContainer)

If akDestContainer ; Gem was placed in container
        Return
    EndIf

If akItemReference ; According to JustChill Gem was dropped. In some circumstances this could still fill if the gem was removed by the game. Sould be fully tested.
        Return
    EndIf

If CheckGems(akBaseItem)
        P.AddItem(_00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender, 1, True) ; P will be replaced with GetReference() when script is added to the Quest Alias.
    EndIf

; You could run a function here to make sure there is only 1 gem in the players inventory and remove any extra as a safety precaution.
    RemoveGemOverkill()
endEvent

Event OnPlayerLoadGame() ; Fill Properties, Set up Array and Event Filter
    SoulGems = new Form[5]
    SoulGems[0] = _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillPetty As Form
    SoulGems[1] = _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillLess As Form
    SoulGems[2] = _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillCom As Form
    SoulGems[3] = _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillGreat As Form
    SoulGems[4] = _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillGrand As Form

P = PlayerAlias.GetReference() As ObjectReference ; Once this is on the Player Ref Alias you will use a differnt function.
;=> Hm... I tried. :( That Property is bound ot the very exact Alias Entry in the quest.
    SetFilter()

;    GoToState("Set") ; Make sure this event only runs once.

endEvent

; EVENTS END

; FUNCTIONS
Function SetFilter() ; Add SoulGem Forms to the Filter so only these Forms will Trigget this Event.
    Int i
    While i < 5
        AddInventoryEventFilter(SoulGems[i])
        i += 1
    EndWhile
EndFunction   

Function RemoveGemOverkill()
    int GemCount = P.GetItemCount(_00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender)
    If GemCount > 1
        P.RemoveItem(_00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender, (GemCount - 1), true)
    endif
EndFunction

Bool Function CheckGems(Form G) ; Make sure the item removed is one of the Gems.
    Int i
    While i < 5
        If G == SoulGems[i]
        Return True
        EndIf
        i += 1  
    EndWhile
EndFunction   

; FUNCTIONS END

; STATES  
;State Set  ; the need for this can be removed when testing is done and the script is moved to the Quest Alias.
;    Event OnPlayerLoadGame()
;    endEvent
;    Function SetFilter()
;    EndFunction   
;EndState

; STATES END

; PROPERTIES
ReferenceAlias Property PlayerAlias Auto

SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender  Auto  
SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillPetty  Auto  
SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillLess  Auto
SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillCom  Auto  
SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillGreat  Auto  
SoulGem Property _00E_YerosCave_SiraSoulbender_FillGrand  Auto

Form[] SoulGems
ObjectReference P
; PROPERTIES END

Thank you for your help. :smile:

I either removed the States as you recommended. Being currently very unsure about what whent wrong. Compiling works fine, so that's rather a functional issue by misunderstanding how the Creation Engine treats things. oO

Addition:

stack:
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.CheckGems() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 61
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.OnItemRemoved() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 17
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:13PM] Error: Cannot access an element of a None array
stack:
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.CheckGems() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 61
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.OnItemRemoved() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 17
stack:
stack:
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:13PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp0"
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:13PM] Error: Cannot call GetItemCount() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.RemoveGemOverkill() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 53
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.OnItemRemoved() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 22
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:13PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp10"
stack:
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.RemoveGemOverkill() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 53
    [alias _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheck on quest _00E_YerosCave_PlayerSoulGemCheckQST (0501C3C2)]._00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.OnItemRemoved() - "_00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR.psc" Line 22
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:28PM] Error: Cannot access an element of a None array
stack:
stack:
stack:
stack:
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:28PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp0"
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:28PM] Error: Cannot call GetItemCount() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:25:28PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp10"
stack:
[01/31/2020 - 09:26:17PM] VM is freezing...
[01/31/2020 - 09:26:17PM] VM is frozen
[01/31/2020 - 09:26:17PM] Log closed

Oh, ouch!

Gonna look over again, even though I barely understand the difference between how these scripts are treated.

Everything worked fine directly on the player. :sad:

Hey JustChill,

All you need is P = GetReference()

You have made a property of the exact property your script is on. Your script extends the Alias.

You should not have shut down the state. In order to do that you will need to change the event to Event OnInit(). You would do that after testing.

Did you fully test the script on the player?

The errors you are getting seem to be saying none of the properties are filled. Did you fill the properties of the script?

Hey there,

thanks. :D :D

That was just dumb from my side. I actually am very unsure when it comes to properties, as I only know script variables from Gamebryo.

In that pipboy light mod of mine for New Vegas, I defined a LOT of them. ^^

But I don't treat properties in a similar way as they seem to behave somewhat different. Furthermore there are still regular script variables available in Papyrus.

P = GetReference() did the trick perfectly. :smile:

So about your second point. In conjunction with your first, I appear to make things overly compliacted like I did for Gamebryo where it often worked pretty well. XD

I completely removed that unnecessary ReferenceAlias property from the script. Thanks for helping me cleaning that ol' piece of paper. ^^

Yes, I did. I had no issues, except getting bad responses in the Script Extender log.

Don't forget that Enderal is SKSE-bound. :wink:

If you install Enderal it always will have SKSE automatically, so you are free to use all aspects of that script extender. :D

I've either changed your

i = i + 1

to the lazy

i += 1

I think my shortcut to do that processs is SKSE exclusive.

At least it was like that in the Fallout New Vegas Script Extender.

There you had the following vanilla setup:

Set [Numeric variable] = [same Numeric variable] + X [X= any value or other Numeric variable]

While if you used NVSE you were able to use a different approach:

Let [Numeric variable] += X [X= any value or other Numeric variable]

So I guess that here in Skyrim it either depends on SKSE to use +=, -=, *= or /=.

Even though, there is a divided opinion about "Let" and "Set" on the New Vegas modding community. Some people say that Set should be prefered as Let is too demanding, but in some cases (like working with strings or array_vars) you simply have to use Let as Set doesn't support it. XD

My bad. :sad: I replaced the "OnPlayerLoadGame" blocks with "OnInit" blocks.

It works again. XD

This really is a different world. I got used to "GameMode" and "MenuMode" blocks that fire everytime you are nearby the respective object that has such a block attached.

Or a Quest that is enabled by start and has a QuestScript attached to it. There you were even able to set your Quest Script Processing Delay by hand or script.

While GameMode and MenuMode are firing every milisecond in the respective mode I guess.

Sounds pretty demanding for sure.

Therefore most mods added new functions and controls with Quest Scripts into the game.

Yes. I used RemoveItem on a soul gem, filled an emtpy one, moved it into another container, let it get removed form the player inventory into another container.

It fired pretty well in that circumstances and now even does in that quest alias script.

I'm gonna jump now onto enhancing the soul trap script.

Thank you very much again. :dance:

Only changed spelling of a few words here and there. I'm odd like that.
I bet you do ... Probably got a whole library from your mentor(s).
I explained why what happen you went all toxic on me.

Seen to many red flags, Removed the scripts couldn't just cancel the post.
So you ended up with that ... Could have been end of story till you went toxic.
We never even needed to respond again. I tend to feel the need to reply too.
Big mistake lesson learned. Even more toxic. Quoted out mini toxic even.
With a dash of arrogant slightly hidden retorts. Just like Reds .... Pls

Edited by NexusComa

I bet you do ... Probably got a whole library from your mentor(s).

I explained why what happen you went all toxic on me.

Seen to many red flags, Removed the scripts couldn't just cancel the post.

So you ended up with that ... Could have been end of story till you went toxic.

We never even needed to respond again. I tend to feel the need to reply too.

Big mistake lesson learned. Even more toxic. Quoted out mini toxic even.

With a dash of arrogant slightly hidden retorts. Just like Reds .... Pls

I really don't want to waste a new post on you, but you obviously didn't took the broad hint correctly.

Not sure if you found a solution but this should be very easy to do a few different ways. I'm not going to rob you of the chance to learn something however.

The answer to your question is YES. One of the biggest parts of programming is problem solving. This one is pretty easy. Have fun!

This is your first response here.

Try to tell your tale as much as you want, this one will be quoted here now forever, no matter how much you try to justify your case.

You have 3 examples of me being very thankful about help in this topic.

Your post was no help, it was just a simple troll post. I don't mind what you have wrote before as I have not seen or read it, as you took YOUR CHOICE to edit YOUR post. I haven't asked you for NOT helping me. This was your very own emotional decision.

I have quoted the post I have read, and that's the post that counts for me.

Beside of that, you can obviouisly tell that you appear to be the only person I am not appearing as thankful to as I do for everyone else. But please, if you read your own quote and continue our conversation, do you really think that you deserve any words of thank here?

I beg you to take this as an rhetoric question.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Or are you simply unable to read comments in the code?

;Big thanks to SurfsideNaturals for basically the whole script. ^^

;+=Just Chill

Scriptname _00E_YC_PlayerAlias_GemCheckSCR extends ReferenceAlias

But... I think I have a right to lower myself onto your niveau, as of all those pages you posted.

Please, download my Pipboy Light mod for New Vegas with over 400 endorsements (more than all of your mods combined) and check out the script of all version since V1.0, if you want to see some "original script". (what f***in* scirpt is original? I made that code on my own, but the functions are surely not mine and I credit the correct people for!)

You'll realize that I put a lot of effort into somthing stupidly dumb and useless like a simple light for the player.

So, that kind of modding is far away from being specifically decrypted. You can tell what kind of s*** I coded simply by taking look. XD

AND, you can simply open up these ESPs in NotePad++ as the scripts are saved as textfiels into the ESPs.

AND, the script will unfortunately have outdated infos like using the console key, while I fixed that issue in a previous update.

--> This is a hobby for me and you obviously take all my efforts not just serious but way too personal.

Yet, you have every right to call me out on the Papyrus scripts, as I am a todller in the best case on that one.

If your mentality is like the one from a highschool boy, then sure make fun of the toddler. XD

On a serious note:

If you continue to respond in this topic, I will report you for harassment. You can write me a personal message if you really want to continue on this, even though I am not sure if that leads to anywhere...

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers

You can write me a personal message if you really want to continue on this, even though I am not sure if that leads to anywhere...

No, I rather reported you for harassment.

The reason why this started was your first post here.

You could have simply turned it around by forming an apology or at least acknowledging that this post wasn't helpful but rather a troll post.

But you played the victim card, instead of understanding why I got emotional over you.

You tried to justify yourself over and over and I tried to invalidate your justifications over and over, because I hoped that you would realize at some point that YOU are the only person I am toxic against here.

Obviously that wasn't enough of a broad hint to make yourself question your own appearance here on this topic.

Do you even question yourself from time to time?

I do and I ensured that I wasn't rude against ReDragon2013. He wrote me a personal message and all is fine.

So, you cannot protect your initial post here with some sort of "I wrote a code but edited it out, as you were rude against ReDragon2013".

You are in no position to tell if other people felt mistreated, especially when they didn't.

"I wrote this post as an encouragement." is either a cheap excuse for an obvious troll post.

I mean, even you admitted that the post can be "misunderstood".

For me it's a clear post of passive aggressiveness and riding the high horse against a total Papyrus newcomer.

Yeah, that whole new engine is frustration when you come from an older one that worked completely different.

And I am more than thankful for people like ReDragon2013, SurfsideNaturals for helping me out and all other people that lost a friendly word, even if Papyrus really bugs me.

I am sorry that I cannot see your post as some sort of "friendly word", but I really have read it a few times as I said and there was something very supercilious about.

So I respond in the exact way as a post appears to me. And if you welcome a Papyrus newcomer with a troll post, you might not get anything else back than trolling.

The easiest way you could have settled that would have been an apology for posting a troll post in the first place.

And I am surely not the only one who could value your initial post as a troll post.

Anyways, I've wrote my concerns about this whole thing into the report too and I don't expect any actions against you. It was mainly just a notification that you might appear a bit disturbive against Papyrus-newcomers who seek help with that whole Creation Engine-thing.

Let's close this case and please take your own advice and write me a PM if you think you need to justify yourself further.

At least we don't annoy the public by trolling each other.

Or you simply could come back to the apology I recomended. I would be happy to accept it and form my own one for mirroring your attitude on my own way. :smile:

What I and anyone else would take personal is being called a jackass and continuous low key insults at every re-re-re-post.
I don't know if you asked Surfs, I don't know how Surfs got it. Who knows if Surfs had the right to give it to you. Clearly that is a raw
de-compiled script. Even you understand that. Someone was ripping scripts or the original would have been there. I wouldn't use a

ripped script. Never even really look at that one due to that. That along with the comment to Red was actually the 1st posts to me.

You like to present a revered version when ever possible then just state it as known fact. Even though it has been gone over.

Debating diligently along with a smear campaign. Directly addressing me. You can't stop being toxic for a moment. Yet expect

that to be fine. No one is looking to harass you. Just answering your questions. I never removed words I just misspelled them.

I think you got that but again the smear campaign continues. I really have nothing left to say and really never did.

So just don't respond with an array of continued low key slander ... I'm not asking questions.

You can write me a personal message if you really want to continue on this, even though I am not sure if that leads to anywhere...

Cheers

Edited by NexusComa