Porting FO4 armor mods to FNV for personal use

Amefox

the only tutorials i could find are the ones of porting fallout nv stuff to fallout 4 but never the other way around but i know its possible bc ive already seen several mods including guns and outfits that are ported from fallout 4 and there are a couple of outfit mods or armor mods i would love to use in fallout nv but were only uploaded for fo4

Since the armatures (skeletons) are completely different between FO4 and FNV, you can't port them directly. You need to export the FO4 meshes into something that an FNV compatible 3d modeling program can handle, then re-rig the meshes to the FNV armatures. I personally use Blender, which requires version 2.49b since that's the only version that the nif tools work properly with. There are specific versions of 3dsMax that work with FNV, but I don't know what versions those are.

Other than the export from FO4, the rigging is the same as for any other FO3/FNV armor. There are plenty of tutorials out there for that.

You might need to open the dds textures in GIMP and save them as an earlier version as well. Not sure.

Blender is a 3d modeling program. GIMP is a texture editor. Both programs require add-ons in order to work properly with Fallout New Vegas. Blender needs the nif tools installed. Since these are version specific, you will want the copy of Blender that is available here on the Nexus since it has all of the versions that work together all in one package. For GIMP you'll need the dds plugin.

See the Programs and Tools section here:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK

Even if the textures work fine on FNV, if they are large 4k textures I would recommend resizing them down to a smaller resolution. FNV is a 32 bit game and you can easily run it out of memory. FO4 is a 64 bit game so extra memory taken up by textures usually isn't an issue with it.

Editing textures is fairly easy. Rigging meshes to armatures and weight painting is a lot more advanced. If you have never done anything with a 3d modeling program before then I would recommend starting out with something much simpler.

• 2 years later...