How to install mods for Fallout New Vegas?

Punxav

Hey everyone,
I am an absolute newbie in mods for FNV and I would really like to install some.
Thus my question: how do I install any mods for FNV?
I can't find any kind of help anywhere, everything is most often outdated.

Could someone please explain to me step by step what do I have to do in order to get mods running?
Do I need any additional programs or something?

Please note that I have no clue how this whole modding system works.
Any feedback appreciated

You can simply use Vortex for mods which have the "vortex" button next to "manual' button. I think a lot of the more popular mods have it.

you need to install it, then you add your games - in this case fo:nv. then you have to choose your mod - you click "vortex" button on its site. you now just need to install it in your vortex, go into "mods" category, and click the "never installed" button next to your new mod's name. choose "enabled".

that should be all. I recommend doing it on your own. It's really simple.

I just think getting your mods by vortex is better for newbie. When you will learn it, you can try installing manually mods - a lot of them has instructions inside, step by step.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Go to the forum "New Vegas Mod Troubleshooting". There is a pinned article "Fallout New Vegas Beginners guide to Modding.

As for what you found that you are calling "outdated", the game was released over nine years ago. There haven't been enough changes since then that you couldn't figure out what to do on your own.

You will have to do some research on your own, but anything about the game can be found with a little bit of effort.

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas is a good place to start.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned".

BTW: That article also references (and provides a link to) the "Fallout New Vegas Beginners guide to Modding" thread recommended by M48A5.

-Dubious-

Yeah, I see some have Vortex but some don't. I will try to follow your steps, also thanks for that link to FNV General Mod Use Advice, I will take a look at that.

I have been a Fallout fan for years already but modding was always that taboo topic for me :wink:
Also one more question, what if there is a mod that can only be downloaded and there is no instruction whatsoever, and no additional requirements needed?

I have found some like this, new weapons or some minor stuff.
Do I have to simply copy files I have downloaded into somewhere or something else is necessary?

As stated, details matter. Speaking in VERY general terms, if a mod is adding "something new", then it is supposed to be "self-contained" and all you need to do is place it's files where they belong. Most of the time a mod manager will be able to work that out from the archive package structure, but not always. If you install it but don't see what you expect, then the mod was probably packaged in a "non-standard" fashion. In which case, see the "Issue - Fix a missing or solid color texture problem" entry under the "Solutions to Mesh -Red Kite- icon or Texture -solid or off color- problems" section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

If the mod is "replacing" things (especially "meshes" and "textures", aka "art assets"), be certain to "toggle ArchiveInvalidation" off-and-back-on again every time you add or remove such files.

If the mod is "modifying/patching" another mod, then it really should have instructions. Try checking the "Comments" page of the mod to see what others have to say. Then ask yourself: do you really want to mess around with a mod that is not properly documented?

-Dubious-