FO4Edit not loading modded plugins in MO2

Chris336

So, I´m having a weird problem, when launching FO4Edit through MO2, fo4edit only loads the unmodded esms from the game and dlc, other esps, esms and esls dont appear on the list of loadable plugins. The really strange part is that when running the game, those plugins are clearly loaded, and when looking at the virtual file system using the ´explore virtual folder´ feature, I can clearly see that everything is loaded. fo4edit seems to be the only thing that happens to, as Loot and everything else is working as expected when being launched through MO2. already reinstalled FO4Edit, didnt do anything, no pending windows updates. already tried everything but reinstalling MO2, as that would nuke my loadorder. Any suggestions?

Since im using mo2 there are no additional esps in my gamefiles folder to load when not started with MO2. However I just noticed that foedit, on startup, in its logging section says "loading active plugin list:C:\Users\Chris3361\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt". Shouldnt that instead refer to whatever pluginlist MO2 provides instead to the one in Appdata? If so, what can I do to change that?

Since im using mo2 there are no additional esps in my gamefiles folder to load when not started with MO2. However I just noticed that foedit, on startup, in its logging section says "loading active plugin list:C:\Users\Chris3361\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt". Shouldnt that instead refer to whatever pluginlist MO2 provides instead to the one in Appdata? If so, what can I do to change that?

Ah. Ok that's the problem right there, that I highlighted. By default, Xedit scans your data folder in your game install directory.

Not in a directory for a foreign program. That's not writing data to the game folder.

So I just spent about 45 minutes looking for how to change the directories that Xedit looks for. So far, have not found a setting for it in the program itself. Windows could not find an ini file that would have the settings. Been reading over the help files for the program.

And... ummmmmm... so far, I'm not finding any info on how to change that! :mellow: :dry:

So at this particular point in time, in my ignorance of a better way... the only thing I can think of is that the plugins that you're wanting to use in xedit, you'll need to manually copy and paste over into your data folder of your game install directory. Then copy back over into your mod manager's folders afterward.

As for your second question. THAT I will straight up tell you... I dunno. I don't use ANY mod managers, not even the one built into the game. I do all of my installs by manually editing the file that you mentioned in the appdata folder.

The only thing I can recommend there, is to open your plugins.txt file and compare it to the one that MO2 uses to see if they are identical.

Like I said, I don't know if that has any bearing on it, but I VERY highly doubt it. I've got multiple .esp files that I've created with Xedit in my data folder, that have NEVER been installed, activated, or listed. And that I can verify are not in my plugins.txt file. But every single one of them shows up in the list of mods that I can look at and load thru Xedit.

Also, in your Xedit folder that you have it installed in. This varies per person. I just have it installed in it's own folder on C:

there is a file called FO4Edit_log.txt

That file will tell you all the locations that Xedit is using for source. Tho, it doesn't give any indication of how to Change those sources. And you will need to pay attention to the DATES in the records as well.

Sorry that this wasn't more help.

Storm

Ok, seems like I was too clever for my own good. I had fallout NOT installed at D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout4, but at D:\Programs\Fallout4 and then had a symlink pointing from D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\ to D:\Programs\. A Symlink is essentially a shortcut created at filesystemlevel pointing any programm from one filepath to another. The symlink should act in any way, shape and form like the original folder to every program using the filesystem, even showing folder size and conforming to all normal linkpath resolutions. It works perfecly fine for installing, managing, and starting games from steam in another folder than steamapps\common. And for about two weeks, since I started work on this moddingsession of fallout 4, cleaning masters and so on it worked perfecly with MO2, even FO4Edit worked without a hinch. I dont know what happened, must have been some deep level windows stuff shifting arround, the virtual filing system just dint work for FO4Edit anymore. just launching the game, even F4SE with MO2 still no problem. I even had an ÜBER modded SSE like 1 Year ago with the same Symlink setup and with MO2, Not a single problem. Still baffels me.

Anyway, Stormwolf, Im so sorry you went through all that trouble trying to help me, when the problem was caused by something you couldnt have known about, or even replicated. I have deep respect for someone that invests that much time into something for the sake of a stanger. Thank you again so much. People like you are just as importan to the modding scene as any mod author.

Chris - Hiya!

LOL yep, you're right, I never woulda thought about you using a system like you're using, in your computer.

But I'm really glad that you got that part of it figured out :)

As far as what may have happened.

I'm not familiar with the program that you're talking about. Is D: your primary (OS) drive? In which case,"Programs" would fall into the (overly control freak windows) admin system. It could be possible that an update from MS or even a security program could have changed the access privileges for that folder.

Hey, thanks quite a bit for the great words. That really means a lot, thank you very much.

LOL I try. I'm not always on the mark, but I do try.

Feel free to come on back if you have any more problems :)

Or just wanna hang out and learn some stuff from watching us try to sort out other people's stuff ;)

-Storm

I have all my programms not installed under my primary windows Drive C:, but in a different partition, D:. That way you never run into issues of windows not allowing you to edit something or whatever. Additionally you can easily make a clean windows install, without deleting all your installed Stuff in the Process.

Symlinks are not a programm, but an integrated feature of the NTFS Filing System. Even if you put a harddrive with an symlink on it on a different comuter, even linux or anything really, that symlink would still work, since it is a pointer simmilar to a normal folder. Folders after all are just objects, that help your opperating system find files saved as bytes on your harddrive, that, without a pointer pointing to them, would be impossible to find for your system. Thats why I was so confused about it causing problems, since normally even the underlying opperating system sometimes doesnt detect them as symlinks but just sees another folder.