⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Flaming Familiar flame color

haMRJha

anyone know how to change the flame color on the flaming wolf summon? ive managed to change the color of many things in gimp and nif but cant get the wolf to work. cant seem to find the right dds and nif files to do it cause the damn summon has so many branching files in xedit that i have no idea what file i need to overwrite. any help would be great

Hanaisse seems to have pointed you to the right files.

If you only want to alter the flaming familiar, you can't simply alter the 2 textures listed because that may impact all other vanilla effects that use these textures. Open them in photo shop, paint.net etc and edit them to suit, then save them as new textures. You will then need to find all files for the 'Flaming Familiar' that use the textures and alter them to point to your new textures.

Use info does you no good here because the textures are applied in the nif files. You need to explore every nif that is involved in the flaming familiar spell and change all the texture sets.

'GradFireExplosion' is used by many effects, so my advice is really applicable to that. Don't know about the other, it could be unique and if it is, you can just adjust the vanilla texture and save yourself adding an extra texture.

ok so i did have the right dds and nif and i also did change the paths in nif for the textures but still does nothing. guess ill have to go in again and find what i missed. damn flaming wolf has way to many branching paths

I altered one of these for a flamethrower effect and had to alter a whole load of nif files, even though I only altered 2 textures.

You really need to delve into how the 'Flaming Familiar' effect is being applied.

"damn flaming wolf has way to many branching paths"

This is probably your issue.

You may also find that when the familiar is destroyed that it uses other textures, explosion sets and the like. These may require yet more texture editing. You wouldn't want your wolf to be purple then disappear in a red explosion.

I'm modding the mod improved flaming familiar and I got most of it working but cant get the hit effect of the flame cloak and explosion it uses to be white. Cant seem to find any files that would let me do this in the esp. Ill link what ive got done so far on the mod when I get off work if anyone wants to take a look at it.