Looking to work with other modders, and/or start a mod team

LuckyOwl23

Hello! I just started messing around with the Geck and I'm still quite new to it. Right now, I'd like to make a mod that adds a new vault into the game. Vault 16. I've already made a plain vault 16 jumpsuit, but there's things that I want, that I don't know how to. New vault world space and whatnot. I also want there to be a quest that the Overseer gives you in order to enter the vault. Also a few quests to help out the people in the vault. Upon completion of these quests, the player would be rewarded with a player home. A lot of this I'm not familiar with, but I think I made a good start by figuring out how to add a new jumpsuit to the game. I'll probably be able to figure out how to make a vault door as well. Thanks for reading!

One of the easiest things you can do is creating interiors. Start with a simple interior just to figure it out. Once you have that done, making a vault is the same thing, just bigger and more complex.

There are two main ways of creating new assets. Retexturing is the simpler of the two. You seem to have that figured out so you're on good track there. The more difficult way is to use a 3d modeling program like Blender or 3ds Max. Modeling has a bit of a learning curve to it. You don't necessarily need to create new assets to create a vault. There are plenty of assets in the game, and retexturing creatively can get you pretty far.

Creating quests can be a bit confusing. The dialog system is complete nonsense until you realize that it evolved out of Morrowind, and in Morrowind, different NPCs could give you the same dialog text, and most of it was not voiced. It therefore made a lot of sense back then to organize things by topics instead of by NPCs. The FNV quest/dialog system still organizes things by topic. You can choose to keep all of an NPC's dialog in a single quest, which makes things simpler for you. Quests use quests and dialog uses quests, so there's a lot lumped into the quest editor. The good news is that creating quests and dialog are both pretty well documented, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty figuring it out.

If you have ever done any kind of scripting or programming, then scripting for FNV shouldn't be too difficult for you. Conversely, if you have never done any sort of scripting in your life, it may be a bit difficult. You are going to need scripts for NPCs and for quests, so learning scripting is probably going to be essential for your mod.

Creating an external worldspace is one of the most difficult things that you can do with the GECK, and very few people seem to know how to do it properly. Creating a worldspace is NOT properly documented anywhere. It also gets you into some of the buggiest parts of the GECK, and there are some very un-intuitive things that you need to do if you want your mod to work properly.

Vault 16 is referenced in New California, though I don't think it actually appears in it (I haven't played New California yet). New California is just a mod, so anything in it is not considered canon, but it's a very popular mod. Unless you are trying to make the Vault 16 referenced in that mod, you might want to consider renumbering your vault.

One of the easiest things you can do is creating interiors. Start with a simple interior just to figure it out. Once you have that done, making a vault is the same thing, just bigger and more complex.

Â

There are two main ways of creating new assets. Retexturing is the simpler of the two. You seem to have that figured out so you're on good track there. The more difficult way is to use a 3d modeling program like Blender or 3ds Max. Modeling has a bit of a learning curve to it. You don't necessarily need to create new assets to create a vault. There are plenty of assets in the game, and retexturing creatively can get you pretty far.

Â

Creating quests can be a bit confusing. The dialog system is complete nonsense until you realize that it evolved out of Morrowind, and in Morrowind, different NPCs could give you the same dialog text, and most of it was not voiced. It therefore made a lot of sense back then to organize things by topics instead of by NPCs. The FNV quest/dialog system still organizes things by topic. You can choose to keep all of an NPC's dialog in a single quest, which makes things simpler for you. Quests use quests and dialog uses quests, so there's a lot lumped into the quest editor. The good news is that creating quests and dialog are both pretty well documented, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty figuring it out.

Â

If you have ever done any kind of scripting or programming, then scripting for FNV shouldn't be too difficult for you. Conversely, if you have never done any sort of scripting in your life, it may be a bit difficult. You are going to need scripts for NPCs and for quests, so learning scripting is probably going to be essential for your mod.

Â

Creating an external worldspace is one of the most difficult things that you can do with the GECK, and very few people seem to know how to do it properly. Creating a worldspace is NOT properly documented anywhere. It also gets you into some of the buggiest parts of the GECK, and there are some very un-intuitive things that you need to do if you want your mod to work properly.

Â

Vault 16 is referenced in New California, though I don't think it actually appears in it (I haven't played New California yet). New California is just a mod, so anything in it is not considered canon, but it's a very popular mod. Unless you are trying to make the Vault 16 referenced in that mod, you might want to consider renumbering your vault.

Thanks man, I started with a retexture of Vault 11 to get a feel for the Geck. If you have a chance, check it out:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68582/?tab=description

You aren't the first to mention the bit about New California, I've played it, and it currently isn't in game, however the mod is still in beta so they might beat me to it. Vault 16 also appeared in Fallout 1.5, which predates New California. Of course, no one will remember Fallout 1.5 lol