Vortex not calling configured meta servers

agc93

I'm trying to configure a custom meta server and can't even get Vortex to actually call the meta server.

I have run the modmeta-db server (from Nexus-mods/modmeta-db), and set up my own HTTP server in case that's the issue.

Adding the meta server, either through the UI or using context.api.addMetaServer('bs-local-test', { url: 'http://test-example.local:8080/'}); from an extension, still doesn't result in any requests being made from installing or updating mods.

Either way, I've even checked in Wireshark and there's no requests going to my configured meta servers for anything that I would have expected to trigger it, even specifically invoking api.lookupModMeta({gameId: GAME_ID, filePath: archivePath}); doesn't trigger any requests to my configured server(s).

What do I need to do to trigger metaserver lookups? Or are meta servers not implemented yet and I need to stick with listening for events and manually setting mod attributes?

It should work but it hasn't been tested in years because there has been literally 0 interest in the feature.

Vortex does cache results though, so if the mod you're checking has already been queried in the past you probably have the data from Nexus Mods in your cache and it won't request it again.

Ah, fair enough!

I was trying it out with some non-Nexus mods to see if I could enrich them so can't have been cached from Nexus, but I'll poke around a bit more. Are there any mod attributes or anything that have to be set for servers to be queried, or anything like that?

If not, I might be able to get around it with some of the existing event listeners and things.

That's pretty exactly what the meta servers were intended for.
The lookup should work with just the md5 hash (stored in fileMD5 but Vortex should set that automatically when it downloads or imports a file).

We also use the fileSize and gameid to avoid collisions if necessary but that should be optional.

If I find the time I will try to look into this over the easter holidays. I also want to try out your Beat Saber extension, really impressed with what you did there. Pretty sure that's the most complex third-party extension we have so far.

Please let us know about any obstacles you're hitting that we may be able to help with.

There was indeed a couple of bugs regarding meta servers that prevented it from working properly, fixes will be in 1.2.4

Awesome to hear! Thanks for taking the time to look into it, I'll try and have a poke around once 1.2.4 lands