6 replies to this topic

Gabonza

Gabonza

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Hello! 

I am trying to make my first mod and after a lot of time tweaking stuff around i managed to correctly texture stuff. Now my problem is the following, i am trying to get the exact same color of the Dragonplate Helmet over to the Nordic Carved armor to make them look like a set, here is my closest result so far :

Attached File  testing.jpg   229.31KB   0 downloads

How can i manage to make the 2 metal textures look exactly the same? Can this be managed just by adjusting the color or is there more to it? The way i am doing it in GIMP is by adding another multiply layer and paint over the metal parts, so far the following RGB values seemed to work good (44,47.8,44.9)

Thank you for your time everyone :D

maxarturo

maxarturo

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
1) Your textures need to be from the same source so that they have the same color values.
2) The meshes must have the same "Environmental" mapping + same "Specular Color" & "Specular Strenght" & "Glossiness".
3) Both meshes must have the same "Vertex Colors".

* Those are in general what affects the look/color of a mesh.

cumbrianlad

cumbrianlad

Right turn, Clyde!

• Premium Member
  • 1,169 posts

I've no great advice to offer... I struggle with textures!

... all I'll say is that I'd wear that armour if I was playing the game... looks great!

Gabonza

Gabonza

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

1) Your textures need to be from the same source so that they have the same color values.
2) The meshes must have the same "Environmental" mapping + same "Specular Color" & "Specular Strenght" & "Glossiness".
3) Both meshes must have the same "Vertex Colors".

* Those are in general what affects the look/color of a mesh.

Thank you for the reply! For now since i am trying to wrap my head around only the textures so far what do you mean with nr 1? How can they be from the same source and how can i find the correct color value? I managed to make all the body parts looks the same using the same RGB values but the head always looks a bit of (like in the picture)

Edited by Gabonza, 14 April 2020 - 06:45 AM.

Gabonza

Gabonza

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I've no great advice to offer... I struggle with textures!

... all I'll say is that I'd wear that armour if I was playing the game... looks great!

Thank you very much, i intend on sharing it once i am done but since i am a complete beginner at this and plan on editing the mesh also, it will take quite some time :/

maxarturo

maxarturo

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
#1 is more for those that will create a texture from scratch, for example:
- If you are going to create 4 different textures for each part of the armor (helmet, cuirass, boots, gauntlets), then your texture source = your base texture = your base material texture must be the same.

You can not achieve an equal visual result if one texture has a base texture of "Silver" and the other ones of "Iron Rust".

This is what's going on with your helmet and your cuirass.

Adding a little more detail to my previous post:
- The "Normal" map plays a significant role also, its high and depth, and especially the "Normal's Alpha Chanel" which is responsible for the highlight - Specularity - Specularity straight - Specularity range.
If 2 meshes have the same textures but their normal maps doesn't share the same "Alpha Chanel" value, then you will end up with an non-uniform visual result.

- The same principle applies for the "Greyscale Environment/Reflection Mask" when using "Environment/Cube Map".
* When using "Environment/Cube Map" all meshes must have the same "Enviromental Map Scale" value.

* Also, all meshes must share the same "Shader Flags".

As you dig into learning about creating/applying textures you'll find out that a lot of little details makes all the difference !.
I would strongly advise you to learn at least "Photoshop" if you intend on doing some high quality texturing.

Here is some info that i don't know if it exists somewhere on Nexus forum, is for Skyrim 'dds' but the same principles applies for SSE textures.
Spoiler

I hope it helps.

EDIT: Typos...

Edited by maxarturo, 18 April 2020 - 07:03 AM.

Gabonza

Gabonza

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

That was super well explained maxarturo! Thank you for taking the time to write this down! :D I'll first give that a good read before asking anything else

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: texture, painting, help, question, nordic, dragonplate

Page loaded in: 1.063 seconds