Version 1.2.9 failure to launch

Jormunrr

The install of 1.2.9 completed normally, but would not launch. I rebooted the computer and still no launch. The vortex graphic would appear slightly faded for a moment and disappear. Task Manager showed several Vortex processes running and using cpu and memory for a while and then drop to 0%. The vortex directory files all had the new file version, and this was confirmed in Control Panel => Programs and Features.

I installed the previous version without uninstalling first, I was hoping that way it would preserve settings and it did. Vortex is running normally on version 1.1.15 currently.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909, with updates through March. It could be a windows issue that will be corrected, or Vortex. It could also be a mod that isn't compatible with the newest release. Event Viewer faults Vortex, but with error code 1000 which is pretty much unhelpful since that goes not deeper than the exe in question.

I have attached a the vortex log file contents, diagnostic file from a working v1.1.15, and also v1.2.9.

Please check if there is a dialog open, it might have opened behind another window.

If you're certain there is nothing, please find the directory "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins", select the directories "changelog-dashlet" and "common-interpreters" and move them somewhere else (or delete them), then try starting Vortex again.

Let us know if that changes anything, if it still doesn't start, please send in the vortex.log again (please send the entire log file, not the "diagnostic files")

I'm pretty careful about installs, and generally don't have anything else running when installing if it can be avoided. There were no dialogs behind that I could see.

I reinstalled 1.2.9 and rebooted. Then I removed the directories for "changelog-dashlet" and "common-interpreters".

I attempted a launch and received this message:

"Your Vortex installation has been corrupted. This could be the result of a virus or manual manipulation. Vortex might still appear to work (partially) but we suggest you reinstall it."

Well, I had just manually manipulated the directories by doing the above. Anyway, I quit and ran a virus scan and my system was clean. I also downloaded Malwarebytes to check for items not generally caught by anti-virus programs. It also came back clean.

So, attempted another launch and clicked "Ignore" on the message and Vortex behaved as it had been with a faded logo momentarily appearing for a few seconds. Vortex log attached.

Good luck and thanks for looking!

Sorry, forgot to mention about the corruption message, but yeah, ignore it.

Unfortunately this doesn't give us any new information. Vortex gets stopped while loading the extensions, in your first log it showed it successfully loaded "changelog-dashlet" and "common-interpreters" should have been the next to be loaded.

There is nothing else going on inside Vortex at the time, there is no reason it would stop at that point. Something external interrupting Vortex or Vortex trying to show a system dialog and not getting a response are the only two things that make sense.

You could look into the windows "Event Viewer" and see if windows logs anything when Vortex fails to start (should be under Windows Logs -> Applications if anything).

The other thing you could try is to move away all the directories bundledPlugins, see if it starts again, if gradually move them back until you can identify which one caused the problem. Also check in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\plugins" if you have any extensions you have installed on top of what's bundled and (re)move them as well.

If none of that helps and you made sure there is no dialog opened by Vortex I'm honestly at my wits end. The log shows pretty exactly where it stops and there is no reason for it to stop there.

I've done enough checking for these types of errors to know that it can be very difficult to find the source. The only error code in the event viewer is 1000. This faults the vortex executable, but that isn't much help to troubleshoot because it doesn't go deep enough to give an idea of where in the code. The dll referenced in this type of error is not always the fault either. That's just what it was referencing when it crashed. The nt.dll is updated fairly often with monthly updates though, so I'll see what the next windows update does. If that doesn't do it I'll likely do a clean install of Vortex and reload mods again at some point.

I appreciate you looking!

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 4/27/2020 4:57:35 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: FractalLake
Description:
Faulting application name: Vortex.exe, version: 1.2.9.0, time stamp: 0x5e94b7be
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.778, time stamp: 0x0c1bb301
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a10e7
Faulting process id: 0x3768
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61cded782b4fb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\Vortex.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9b6c817d-30ec-4f12-81c8-a766f5f45563
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: