The game stutters with sound enabled (on Windows XP don't ask why lol)

OK that time line and no updates blows my "MS is a bad guy" theory out of the water.

You mentioned just moving some of the files related to the LAV thing, not doing a proper uninstallation. I seem to recall seeing something related to uninstalling LAV in my Googling (working towards the leftover registry entries angle now).

OK that time line and no updates blows my "MS is a bad guy" theory out of the water.

You mentioned just moving some of the files related to the LAV thing, not doing a proper uninstallation. I seem to recall seeing something related to uninstalling LAV in my Googling (working towards the leftover registry entries angle now).

Yeah i already uninstalled X Codec Pack and tried the game, still stuttered...tried reinstalling X Codec Pack, but no LAV Splitter icons to be seen when exiting Oblivion(and the game still stuttered)....although they do show up when playing FNV or Morrowind with X Codec Pack installed, which is odd to say the least...i removed the filters folder from X Code Pack Program Files specifically to try to fix duplicating icons in FNV which i think was the cause of my freezes/crashes, that did remove them for FNV but now that i reinstalled X Codec Pack, FNV has the icons but Oblivion does not. :wallbash:

Edit: Oh and yeah i used a codec repair tool(filmerit) to remove the leftover registries when uninstalling X Codec Pack, if that's the angle you were leaning towards.

Edited by chunkfhunk

Hmm ... no hands on experience with codec paks here, I've always been a discrete sound card kinda' guy (well except for that lame a$$ laptop, though I did do some gaming on an ancient Toshiba 386 SX-25 way back near the Dawn of Time). My guess is your situation is related to some of those steps you've taken while trying to get LAV with "A" but not "B" (which may not be a possible pathway forward ... my understanding of codec paks is they are either "all in" or not installed).

Could be the route forward is uninstall the codec pak, run a registry cleaner (e.g. CCleaner) and then when you want to run Oblivion you install the codec pak and when you want to run FNV you first uninstall the codec pak (this is assuming that uninstalling the codec pak and cleaning the registry and then reinstalling the codec pak gives you joy with the Oblivion situation ... which is the scenario I'd test out first).

Hmm ... no hands on experience with codec paks here, I've always been a discrete sound card kinda' guy (well except for that lame a$$ laptop, though I did do some gaming on an ancient Toshiba 386 SX-25 way back near the Dawn of Time). My guess is your situation is related to some of those steps you've taken while trying to get LAV with "A" but not "B" (which may not be a possible pathway forward ... my understanding of codec paks is they are either "all in" or not installed).

Could be the route forward is uninstall the codec pak, run a registry cleaner (e.g. CCleaner) and then when you want to run Oblivion you install the codec pak and when you want to run FNV you first uninstall the codec pak (this is assuming that uninstalling the codec pak and cleaning the registry and then reinstalling the codec pak gives you joy with the Oblivion situation ... which is the scenario I'd test out first).

Hmmm, didn't give that a try yet, will do that right away!

Okay, i uninstalled X Codec Pack and ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner, reinstalled X Codec Pack and again, no LAV Splitter icons in Oblivion and same scenario with the stutters...

Desktop or laptop??

HP® Workstation Desktop.

Hmm ... HPs tend to be a bit problematic for what I was going to suggest ... they aren't really PCs in my opinion, they're HPs.

Where I was going is to suggest getting a soundcard. A cheap soundcard is 100 times better than onboard sound (which really only give you the speaker/headphone connections ... all of the sound processing is done by the CPU, in contrast to a soundcard that does all of it's own work).

An old HP may or may not have an available slot, and if it does chances are it will be an ISA slot rather than a PCI slot (and ISA soundcards will be hard to source).

Having a look inside the case (and if need be comparing what you see to pics off the internet) will give you a better idea. At the very least you'll have an opportunity to blow out some dust bunnies while the box is open.

- Edit - PCI slot vs ISA slot

Edited by Striker879