Noob question. Might be obvious.

Ok kind of a noob but i have alot of basics down. 3ds, gimp, ck, nifscope. I have made many SS items for my own use and have been messing around with creating my own meshes. Here is my question... how is the texture file (the dds) made. More specifically the actual layout of the file. The one that is layed out flat. Do i have to modify an existing one. I mean i can recolor and add layers and edit it but how is that image made and how can several objects textures be on one image. I have watched hundreds of tuts and this is just glazed over or omitted. Any links or direction would be great. Example picofwhat im asking here.

The key to this is the UV map.

That is the thing that "tells" the mesh where to put what texture.

Look up some tutorials on 3DSMAX UV unwrapping and stuff like that ...

It can be a weird subject to "wrap your head around" (sorry, I had to ...) ...

(Clearly you don't know the 3DSMAX basics ... But I don't fully understand mesh creation myself, so I won't judge you :laugh: )

Just to further add to comments above . Think of you mesh as paper model, to lay it flat on a table you need to cut some edges, that is basically what UV map is. You cut edges(mark as seams) and it unwraps it to a 2d canvas. After you did that(im assuming you painted/applied some texture to your model) you look for bake option(depends on what software you use) That will project texture that is on your model to a 2d image(each face will be projected to where that face is on a 2d space) and you will have a texture to apply in game or wherever, your model will store uv map and combined with baked image you should get same thing as it was before you baked. here is a pic of a uvmap , each face has its own area it looks for on an image. thehttps://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jesus_Munoz_Morcillo/publication/317041868/figure/fig4/AS:496736859049984@1495442704109/UV-map-of-the-Dogs-body-Photo-ISAS-ZAK-KIT.png