Warning To all ! STEAM just deleted my skyrim folder

roojohan

Was having problems with the creation kit CTD every time i opened it ,and decided to delete the local content for it and reinstall it , well steam deleted the whole skyrim folder , instead of just the creation kit files .

so be carefull.

The same exact thing happened to me, along with every mod I had.... Wish I'd seen this before I tried to troubleshoot the creation kit...

Great job Steam, Beth! Why is it that I HAVE to have a steam version, despite the fact that I bought the old-fashioned DVD?

For future reference, when you want to fix broken files in the CK there's a much easier way. Find the Creation Kit on Steam, go to "Properties", click the "Local Files" tab, then hit, "Verify Integrity of Tool Cache." This'll make Steam search for broken and out of date files without risking uninstalling the CK. Edited by Rennn

Very useful tip Renn, I must confess I had never thought about doing that for the Creation Kit, but I will next time it decides to act up. I have recently had to reinstall the whole game after Steamypile decided to hose my install with its file format updating nonsense, and it took two attempts to get it to redownload properly. So I have no desire to have to do it again due to Creation Kit nonsense. Your tip will help me prevent that!

For future reference, when you want to fix broken files in the CK there's a much easier way. Find the Creation Kit on Steam, go to "Properties", click the "Local Files" tab, then hit, "Verify Integrity of Tool Cache." This'll make Steam search for broken and out of date files without risking uninstalling the CK.

If you use SKSE and\ or some mods with scripts (Better Vampires) this will replace some of the scripts with the original scripts, idk if NMM will take care of this without uninstalling\ reinstalling, I use Wrye Bash and you have to uninstall\ reinstall SKSE scripts folder and\ or some mods (anneal didn't seem to work for this). And you will have to reedit your creation kit ini if you have altered it also.

For future reference, when you want to fix broken files in the CK there's a much easier way. Find the Creation Kit on Steam, go to "Properties", click the "Local Files" tab, then hit, "Verify Integrity of Tool Cache." This'll make Steam search for broken and out of date files without risking uninstalling the CK.

If you use SKSE and\ or some mods with scripts (Better Vampires) this will replace some of the scripts with the original scripts, idk if NMM will take care of this without uninstalling\ reinstalling, I use Wrye Bash and you have to uninstall\ reinstall SKSE scripts folder and\ or some mods (anneal didn't seem to work for this). And you will have to reedit your creation kit ini if you have altered it also.

Aye, but reinstalling the CK would do that anyway. This way you at least won't lose your entire Skyrim install.

This just happened to me a couple of days ago. And the worst thing is that Creation Kit still crashes at launch...despite a full re-install with no mods. I'm starting to hate Steam even more....especially since I have some mod projects in that folder that I was working on. :(

• 3 weeks later...