Having an issue trying to change the model of my custom weapon

beno2

I recently learned how to create my own stats for a weapon, but I’m not sure how to change the way it looks. I wanted to add more weapons to the game to add more variety, and I decided to work on an FN SCAR first. I managed to get the gun’s stats to work the way I want them too (using the Xuanlong Assault Rifle’s model), but now I’m unsure how to change the model. I downloaded a SCAR mod from the Nexus site (I don’t plan on releasing the weapons I create to the public for download, and the guy who uploaded the mod hasn’t logged into the Nexus site in ten years) so I could use its model, but when I try to change the model in the “Art and Sound” tab of the G.E.C.K, the SCAR model appears in the preview but it’s completely red. In-game, it’s still using the Xuanlong rifle’s model. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here? Also, I've posted this question to relevant subreddits, but I got tired of waiting for responses there that will probably never come.

Photo for reference: https://imgur.com/Jk0qnvB

I recently learned how to create my own stats for a weapon, but I’m not sure how to change the way it looks. I wanted to add more weapons to the game to add more variety, and I decided to work on an FN SCAR first. I managed to get the gun’s stats to work the way I want them too (using the Xuanlong Assault Rifle’s model), but now I’m unsure how to change the model. I downloaded a SCAR mod from the Nexus site (I don’t plan on releasing the weapons I create to the public for download, and the guy who uploaded the mod hasn’t logged into the Nexus site in ten years) so I could use its model, but when I try to change the model in the “Art and Sound” tab of the G.E.C.K, the SCAR model appears in the preview but it’s completely red. In-game, it’s still using the Xuanlong rifle’s model. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here? Also, I've posted this question to relevant subreddits, but I got tired of waiting for responses there that will probably never come.

Photo for reference: https://imgur.com/Jk0qnvB

You can easily replace anything in the game with a loose file. You will need to determine the exact path for the mesh and texture of what you are going to replace.

Then make an entry in both the meshes and textures using what you want to use as a replacement. This is how body, armor, texture or any replacer mods work.

Since it is a replacer, you don't need to use the G.E.C.K. You aren't going to be making an .esp file. You must be certain you have the exact path to the files you are replacing.

When you are done, toggle Archive Invalidation.

Well, when I look where I expect all the game's meshes and textures would be, I only find the meshes and textures for the other mods I've downloaded, not the game's default weapons or the weapon I created for that matter. The exact path I'm looking at right now is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Data\Meshes\weapons. Same thing for the textures folder too, only mod weapons. Would my weapon be stored somewhere else?

With the game installed in Program Files, Windows User Account Control prevents any changes to be made to any file install there. You need to move your steam folder and all games out of Program Files. There are instructions on Steam that tell you how to do this.

Meshes and textures are stored in .bsa files and can be found in the game Data folder, listed as Fallout - Meshes.bsa and Fallout - Textures.bsa. I would have no idea of the location of your saved file.

Wouldn't I have been unable to play Fallout 3 in the first place if Windows User Account Control was preventing changes from being made? Also, if it is indeed preventing changes from being made, is that what's preventing me from changing the model and texture of the weapon I created? Sorry if this sounds really obvious, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to stuff like this, and frankly I'm still very confused. And another thing, you mentioned this in your first response to my post:

You aren't going to be making an .esp file.

When I saved the weapon, it saved as an .esp. I'm not really sure how I can make this weapon without making an .esp file. In case I wasn't clear, I'm not trying to replace the Xuanlong rifle with the rifle I created- I just used the Xuanlong's model as a placeholder, I still want the Xuanlong to be in the game, just as a separate entity from the gun I created.

To add a weapon to the game you do, indeed, need an .esp file. From your original post I thought you were trying to replace the Xuanlong Assault Rifle.

There is no problem playing the game from Program Files, however, trying to use Fallout Script Extender, Large Address Aware Enabler, Fallout Stutter Remover, Archive Invalidation or other files that change any of the Fallout 3 files will not work. You can make any additions you want, you just can't change files that are already installed in Program Files.

This also holds true to any files that are set to "Read Only".

There is no problem playing the game from Program Files, however, trying to use Fallout Script Extender, Large Address Aware Enabler, Fallout Stutter Remover, Archive Invalidation or other files that change any of the Fallout 3 files will not work. You can make any additions you want, you just can't change files that are already installed in Program Files.

I'm not sure how, but I was able to use the FWE mod (which requires the Script Extender) a couple of days ago, while the game was still installed to Program Files.

As for the .esp file, all I'd have to do is open it up and then I'd be able to replace the gun's mesh and textures?