Possible Dragbody bug

CoochieHorse

So today I decided to do some experimenting with Dragbody's NPC Overhaul mod and it went horribly.

I was trying to fix the texture problem that I've been having with this mod since 2 months ago (i.e. Veronica with two weird black lines on her face, Sunny Smiles with a weird jaw texture bug and Easy Pete looking burnt to a crisp.) And to be assured, I have no other NPC retexture and/or body enhancement mods installed other than Dragbody's. Now here's where the trouble started.

I checked on the textures for Veronica on NifSkope and found that nothing was wrong with it, it looked exactly how she was supposed to look. So then I tried looking for any mods that might conflict with it and found nothing. SO YOU KNOW WHAT I DID? I accidentally deleted the meshes and textures from New Vegas' data directory.

I got them back, obviously, but then the meshes were all wrong. Big red triangles with an exclamation mark on it on every NPC I saw, my companions (since I use the Unlimited Companion Module) would teleport to me (or rather I would teleport to them) after a black screen would come out of nowhere and phase into that situation, and I couldn't switch camera angles using F cause it wouldn't let me. All in one save before I messed up everything.

So uh... please? Can anyone help?

I've tried other forums, Reddit, multiple websites, all with none of the same issue as mine.

i don't care that much for Dragbody's mod not working, I just want to play New Vegas :(

Don't try "experiments" with your current play-through game. Always use a disposable "new game" for that purpose.

Sounds like you need to completely re-install that mod, and then toggle "ArchiveInvalidation" off-and-on-again after reverting to a "save game" from before your experiment. Such "overhauls" usually involve not just the mesh and texture files, but also the "skeleton/armature". The "black bands" you saw are typical of a missing "UV map" for the texture, which indicates a mismatch between the mesh and texture files. Re-check the mod requirements. (A "UV map" tells the game how the texture is supposed to "skin" the mesh wireframe for lighting purposes.)

Please see the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Body Types' and related 'Body Replacer -' entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section and the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

Don't try "experiments" with your current play-through game. Always use a disposable "new game" for that purpose.

Sounds like you need to completely re-install that mod, and then toggle "ArchiveInvalidation" off-and-on-again after reverting to a "save game" from before your experiment. Such "overhauls" usually involve not just the mesh and texture files, but also the "skeleton/armature". The "black bands" you saw are typical of a missing "UV map" for the texture, which indicates a mismatch between the mesh and texture files. Re-check the mod requirements. (A "UV map" tells the game how the texture is supposed to "skin" the mesh wireframe for lighting purposes.)

Please see the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Body Types' and related 'Body Replacer -' entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section and the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

How do you toggle archiveinvalidation on or off? I've heard it's a mod or something to fix the game but I'm not quite sure.

Could you please elaborate?

-Dubious-

I've also checked the site for the mod and there aren't any other requirements other than Dead Money

(I use NMM, but the other Dragbody mods work fine using it)

Edited by CoochieHorse

Re: ArchiveInvalidation (AI). Please see the 'Mod Managers' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article for your specific mod manager. Typically the manager has a toggle "button/icon" for AI and all you need to do is tap it to change it's current state between "on" and "off". However, the definitive guide is always the documentation of that mod manager.

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issues, fortunately I have not managed to brake the game yet, is there a known soloution to these ? (i.e. Veronica with two weird black lines on her face, Sunny Smiles with a weird jaw texture bug and Easy Pete looking burnt to a crisp.)

Edited by Iam87

I am having the same issues, fortunately I have not managed to brake the game yet, is there a known soloution to these ? (i.e. Veronica with two weird black lines on her face, Sunny Smiles with a weird jaw texture bug and Easy Pete looking burnt to a crisp.)

Explained in the previous posts. It should not be too hard to find them since there are only 7 posts in this topic.

Thanks for getting back so quickly, you're correct there are 5 posts, first is the original and second states possible soloutions. Next 3 are about archiving and do not appear to relate to the problem I stated. The possible soloutions do not cover the face issues, they discuss a lot and I am sure they fix a number of problems but not the cosmetic issues. I feel it is a change to the original files but there is nothing to confirm this.

"ArchiveInvalidation" is not about "archiving", but rather about how the game engine determines which files to use when some are packed inside of BSA files, and some are "loose files" residing in the "Data" subfolders but with the same filenames. (Please see the 'ArchiveInvalidation (by Manager)' section of the "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article, and also see the 'Checklist Item #15 & 16' entries in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.) The "cosmetic issues" you are experiencing are the result of the use of mismatched versions of some of the component files that make up how a character appears displayed because multiple mods are affecting those characters. Toggling "ArchiveInvalidation" is how the game engine is told that there have been changes to the mix of "loose files" it may need to use or drop when making those choices.

When toggling AI does not resolve the issue, then you have to find and remove at least one of whichever plugins are conflicting because the last installed have overwritten previously installed "loose files". As files are "overwritten", it may prove necessary to re-install some mods. Please see the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Body Types' and related 'Body Replacer -' entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article for the more detailed discussion of these issues.

Note that Dragbody's mods are not hosted on Nexus. I don't know the history behind that (author's choice or site policy) but all we can offer is generalized discussion about the underlying game mechanic issues. Specific issues related to a particular mod (especially "overhauls") are best directed to the mod author.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 4 weeks later...

So today I decided to do some experimenting with Dragbody's NPC Overhaul mod and it went horribly.

I was trying to fix the texture problem that I've been having with this mod since 2 months ago (i.e. Veronica with two weird black lines on her face, Sunny Smiles with a weird jaw texture bug and Easy Pete looking burnt to a crisp.) And to be assured, I have no other NPC retexture and/or body enhancement mods installed other than Dragbody's. Now here's where the trouble started.

I checked on the textures for Veronica on NifSkope and found that nothing was wrong with it, it looked exactly how she was supposed to look. So then I tried looking for any mods that might conflict with it and found nothing. SO YOU KNOW WHAT I DID? I accidentally deleted the meshes and textures from New Vegas' data directory.

I got them back, obviously, but then the meshes were all wrong. Big red triangles with an exclamation mark on it on every NPC I saw, my companions (since I use the Unlimited Companion Module) would teleport to me (or rather I would teleport to them) after a black screen would come out of nowhere and phase into that situation, and I couldn't switch camera angles using F cause it wouldn't let me. All in one save before I messed up everything.

So uh... please? Can anyone help?

I've tried other forums, Reddit, multiple websites, all with none of the same issue as mine.

i don't care that much for Dragbody's mod not working, I just want to play New Vegas,

Did you, by any chance, fix it? i've been having the same issue with easy pete, sunny and veronica, and have not been able to find a solution anywhere.