How to make spells that are only available depending on equipped weapon type?

Im making a mod that allows the player to use certain spells depending on what they have equipped. for example if you have a 1 handed weapon and an empty hand you will be given access to certain powers. if you change to having a 2 handed weapon you will be excluded from using the 1 hand/ empty hand powers but will have access to a separate set of powers exclusively for 2 handed weapons. I already figured out a way to do this but Im not sure its ideal. What i did was create a lesser power, that, when activated grants the effects i want. in the effect list i set conditions that use GetEquippedItemType. this does work as expected but im wondering is there a better way to do this?

Pretty sure you can do this as a perk. There are conditions for weapons, perk owner and target.

Take a look at crFalmerPoison. Double click the perk entry and you'll see the spell and the condition that the weapon being used must have weapon material Falmer or FalmerHoned

Your conditions will work here just like the way you did it, but probably in the perk owner tab.

Rasikko,

I think the idea of using the 'Perk To Apply' in a magic effect is a really good one. It's certainly used in vanilla, so it works. I just did a bit of digging around and this is exactly how 'Sinderion's Serendipity' works, as an example for the OP. (Search NN01 in spells, magic effects and perks to see how it's done). The ability spell uses the magic effect and the 'Perk To Apply' in that is the actual perk to make twice as many potions with a 25% chance.