NMM; Unrecognized game mode.

ShatteredPawn

Hello, I'm having trouble getting the Mod Manager to work.

It scans for games, detects the ones I've got(Skyrim, New Vegas) and its setting them to the right location, opening both of them fine, but when I try to download a Skyrim mod with it, I get an error saying;

"Unrecognized Game Mode

Nexus Mod Manager is not set up to work with Skyrim. If Skyrim is installed, rescan for installed games from the change game toolbar item."

I do that, and it opens the mod manager just fine, but when I try to download anything, I get the same error again.

It worked fine a few days ago when I installed SkyUI, and it still works for installing New Vegas mods, but not for Skyrim.

And before you say it, its not a pirated copy, I can message you with my steam account if I have to.

Try verifying your game cache files through steam before doing anything else. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Is your game installed to a non default location? or is steam installed to a non default location?

Verifying my cache found and reacquired 1 file, but didn't fix the problem.

And my location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

Try reinstalling NMM, it can be a finisky program or was. We are on .41 I believe.

Backup NMM's mod folder just in case.

-becuase if a simple reinstall did not work

-you will entirely remove NMM

-You'll check the ADD/REMOVE Programs feature of your version of Windows and remove the program there next

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the unrecognized game mode. I tried to switch to Fallout 3, but forgot I uninstalled it a while ago (d'oh!), but now that I've re-installed, and try to open NMM, I get the Unrecognized Game Mode error box, and it asks me to "rescan for installed games from the Change Game toolbar item", and when I click OK it just closes and doesn't open NMM. When I run NMM again, same dialog box, click OK, same effect, so I can't get into NMM to change the game.

What step am I missing here?

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just searched for "unrecognized game mode", as I didn't want to start a new topic for an existing question.

Edited by SwedishHeat

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

No one has figured out a way to fix this... just installed Fallout 3 had skyrim and DA2 loaded.. now I get this error with latest NMM... anyone?

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure I've cracked it. Never been on this forum before but I couldn't find an answer and I by accident figured what I'm sure the problem is. Steam's directory and stuff is in the (x86) Program Files folder but Nexus' is in the normal Program Files folder. Cut and Paste the Nexus program files folder into the (x86) folder and then try again. This fixed it for me, hope it does the same for everybody else.