why on earth... (showcase commentary)

caligator

70f07737a5.png

Why on earth is it the front page is coated in whats basically the same mod today? whats more, none of the art is even this guys stuff...
what even is the point of frontpage showcasing when it ends up being something like this?

I suppose this is more on the gripe side of things but seriously... this has been a thing I've noticed with our community for the last while; loads of spammed insubstantial mods given an elevated platform and overinflated place of importance. what happened to the imagination and creativity being at our forefront? or clever fixes and genuine upgrades?

Then create something you like. Something you deem better

It just plugs in what's trending, so people are enjoying it.

I have been, actually. not published however because I feel theyre often not good enough to bother with packaging for others-- plus I do a lot of published work in the minecraft community already as both a texture artist, designer, and modpack creator. :/ I know youre giving a boilerplate response there but it sorta dodges what my initial assertion was questioning; What happened to the level of quality in our community and why is it this is what the site promotes?

Heck, piddling about digging I happened to find by chance a mod that was built with far greater love and time spent-- a mod that simply adds recipes and food from Fallout 76, adapted for 4 and modified to fit lore. this kid probably spent weeks on puzzling this out and hand placing recipes at loot sites, building models, and skinning stuff-- and theres barely 1k downloads, and barely 100 endorsements.

he could have sliced and diced up his recipes into different packs and slapped some stolen art assets with big tits on it and bam- endless endorsements and frontpage. f*#@, even going through the guys upload history, he made quite a few really nice little mods and patches with hardly any sort of social encouragement or reward. maybe as a result of such he faded off; his last upload being in jan of 2019, with a single statement in the bio saying 'dont DL my mods, theyre trash'. while I have my issues with the sloot stuff, no contributer should be made to feel so put out that they think their contributions are not worth consideration (within reason)

we lose talent from this community everyday, and this sorta thing feels like it encourages it; or more succinctly said the fact that solid project content is depreciated over exploitative 'sex sells' kinds of content. it discourages more varied and deeper content creators from contributing anymore.

mind you im saying this as someone who draws smut for a living-- its not out of any remote likening to prudishness that I'm bemoaning the f4 modding community's promotion of seemingly only shallow sloot content.

> for reference, the kid I mentioned's userpage: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/25962825

I'm all for high quality mods and for their authors getting the recognition they deserve, I was just answering that it is only an algorithm that pads out that section.

No human Nexus curator.

I search by most recent update to give every mod equal chance, instead of only looking at what's already trending.

The two bigger mods displayed are also based on votes and endorsements.

That weapon mod look high quality and very thorough and that waves mod is by Zorkaz in this thread, I invite you to look at their mods, I love them and use them all the time (even some they don't think should be left up or supported further).

I would just say that even though your intentions are good for authors, your original wording spreads unnecessary negativity.

Unlike Minecraft, Fallout 4's playerbase is dwindling and that leaves people who don't care and people who care a hell of a lot, so let's not vilanise everyone under one blanket.

While i'll agree that ImmortalAbsol and Zorkaz are right here (it's just an algorythm, not an active decision being made by anyone), i'm gonna pile on with the negativity anyhow. xP

I am just soooooo close to blocking the user who's uploading those magazine retextures. I really hate seeing them on the front page. I dunno why it bothers me as much as it does, but it does. Wish they'd upload all the magazine retextures to one single page - not a separate page for each magazine type. Ugly spam posts. It really is a shame that something so out of place and low-effort gets so much attention, whereas genuinely great (here's looking at you, Zorkaz) mods released at the same time don't get more credit.

I'm all for high quality mods and for their authors getting the recognition they deserve, I was just answering that it is only an algorithm that pads out that section.

No human Nexus curator.

I search by most recent update to give every mod equal chance, instead of only looking at what's already trending.

The two bigger mods displayed are also based on votes and endorsements.

That weapon mod look high quality and very thorough and that waves mod is by Zorkaz in this thread, I invite you to look at their mods, I love them and use them all the time (even some they don't think should be left up or supported further).

I would just say that even though your intentions are good for authors, your original wording spreads unnecessary negativity.

Unlike Minecraft, Fallout 4's playerbase is dwindling and that leaves people who don't care and people who care a hell of a lot, so let's not vilanise everyone under one blanket.

Fair, though I didnt take umbrage with the first two mods (the rifle and wave retexture).

maybe its time for there to be some curative oversight from nexus staff on the frontpage display? prevent these sorta hacky things from happening?

also I was speaking out cause there seems to be a lot of radio silence on some of the issues present in our grouping here on the site. like... its kinda taboo to talk about? I say this because I've also had several comments in DM related to this of people echoing the same sentiment, yet none of them posted here on the forum post.

Just block the author or block the adult content tag (or related tags) if you do not like it. I utilise the block button daily to get rid of mod/image section spammers, and it is great. You have control over your experience here :) Edited by femshepping